PDA

View Full Version : Finally moved!

Mike A. Smith
08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Well sort of, I'm here and the wife, furniture and tools arrive tomorrow. I haven't been around here for a while because of the relocation.

The good news is that I now have half of an unfinished basement to set up shop instead of the half garage I had before. I will be looking for turner specific suggestions from those of you working in basements on how I need to finish mine out; quality dust collection will be the first order of business. I now have room for a big boy lathe (once the bank account recovers from the move!).

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Welcome back Mike! Hope you get your shop set up real soon! A lot of us have basement shops - so suggestions shouldn't be to hard to come by. You might want to start a thread specifically asking about basement shops and pick up some ideas!

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Welcome back. You will not have any problem with info on basement shops.

Steve Busey
08-15-2008, 8:23 AM
Welcome back, Mike. Where abouts in Georgia did you settle? (ps - I have a basement shop, but it's about the size of half a garage...)

Jim Becker
08-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Congratulations on the move, Mike!

robert hainstock
08-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Lots of outlets on several circuits. I hope you have 200 amp service, so that there is some room to add to it. Think 220v 30 amp for that BIG new lathe, and 110 v outlets every 4 ft. congrats on the new digs. :):):)
Bob

Tom Steyer
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Agree with Robert's comments, plus you might think about putting all those outlets at just above counter/bench height around the room - normal height outlets in a shop space are a pain.

Richard Madison
08-15-2008, 9:10 PM
Consider ceiling outlets too, for lighting and drop cords to avoid stringing extension cords across the floor. Consider ceiling 220 outlets too, so the big new lathe does not have to be jammed against a wall if you don't want it there. Frees up some of the wall for shelves.

Mike A. Smith
08-16-2008, 7:45 PM
Welcome back, Mike. Where abouts in Georgia did you settle? (ps - I have a basement shop, but it's about the size of half a garage...)

I'm on the other side of town from you (Fayetteville). I hear they have a turners group over in Newnan somewhere...

Mike A. Smith
08-16-2008, 7:48 PM
Consider ceiling outlets too, for lighting and drop cords to avoid stringing extension cords across the floor. Consider ceiling 220 outlets too, so the big new lathe does not have to be jammed against a wall if you don't want it there. Frees up some of the wall for shelves.

Yes, I've been planning the outlets so I can get an electrician in before I finish the walls. I was planning on ceiling outlets, but hadn't thought about 220 there.

Thanks to all for the advice, I'll be looking for lots more once things getting going. Unfortunately, LOML insists on unpacking first!:(