PDA

View Full Version : American Fabric Filter Bags - Any Users?

glenn bradley
08-14-2008, 9:55 PM
These seem to get a glowing recommendation similar to Clean Stream shop-vac filters. Once you try them, I guess you're convinced.
Bearing in mind it will be year or so till I upgrade my DC; any owners here and what's your take on a $100 bag for a 1HP Delta DC?

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
AFF has been in business for many years. They make custom bags in any size or dimension you need. There products are well worth their price. They made the "socks" that I have on my cyclone.

Cary Falk
08-15-2008, 4:13 AM
I priced a felt filter for my DC a couple of years back for my used 1100A at several places that I can't remember. I believe the price was $150+. I got the 20" version of this one from Rockler for less than $50 and couldn't be happier. I don't see the 20" anymore but I think the 14" will work for you. At $28 I don't think you can go wrong. I have heard nothing but good things about AFF.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10001

scott spencer
08-15-2008, 7:16 AM
Hi Glenn - I haven't used them, but I think at $100 I'd be leaning toward a cannister that'll give you more airflow and is easier to clean. Do these bags offer a characteristic that other upgrade replacement bags don't? I had a set of the Grizzly bags that I thought were a nice upgrade from the stock bags, but they were still a pain to empty. I switched to a cannister and don't think there's much comparison. I get alot more airflow and can use a clear plastic bottom bag which is easier to empty...still not pleasant but easier! ;)

Jim Eller
08-15-2008, 1:22 PM
I had a custom made AFF bag on a 1 HP Grizzly I use to have up until a year ago. I had it for seven years and all I ever did to it was shake it to let the dust fall to the bottom bag on occasion and about every six months I would take it off, go outside, turn it inside out and shake it.

I can remember putting it on and being amazed at how much better the machine performed! It was well worth the money and the folks at AFF were great to work with.

I have since gone to a cyclone.

Jim

peter kolb
08-15-2008, 6:18 PM
I have an American custom bag on a 1 hp Jet dc. The dc services a : 10 inch cabinet saw, 6 inch jointer, sliding compound miter saw and a drum sander. The machines are clustered; all with blast gates and 4 inch metal duct work where I could fit it in. There is a Highland Hardware separator as part of the system. It works great. Peter in south central nj

David Freed
08-16-2008, 8:14 AM
A - I had a custom made AFF bag on a 1 HP Grizzly I use to have up until a year ago. I had it for seven years and all I ever did to it was shake it to let the dust fall to the bottom bag on occasion and about every six months I would take it off, go outside, turn it inside out and shake it.

B - I can remember putting it on and being amazed at how much better the machine performed! It was well worth the money and the folks at AFF were great to work with.

C - I have since gone to a cyclone.

Jim[/quote]

A - This is the very reason for using a fabric filter; extremely easy and convenient to clean.

B - I haven't bought one yet, but they have been very helpful to this point.

C - They took my idea (cyclone blowing into a plenum with fabric tubes fastened between the plenum and small containers on the floor, such as a 5 gallon bucket, for dust to fall into when I clean the filters) and told me how many tubes I would need to get good airflow (4 would work, 5 would be better).