PDA

View Full Version : Mission Sofa Progress

Bob Marino
05-01-2004, 7:07 PM
Here's a couple of pics of a Mission/Prarie sofa that I have been working on for way too long. All the wood is qswo and the joinery m & t. Real nice ray and fleck in the wood. All the cutting is done, and all that's left to do is sanding, planing, routing, dyeing, glueing and topcoating ;).

Bob

Jim Becker
05-01-2004, 7:12 PM
That's going to be a special piece, Bob. The figure is great!

Todd Burch
05-01-2004, 7:16 PM
Looks great Bob! Almost 1/2 way there - HO HO HO!!!

What will you do to support whatever it is you will sit on? Will this be black or brown leather cushions? 4" thick? Anything (cushion-wise) for the back? What are you sitting on now?!!!

Bob Marino
05-01-2004, 7:23 PM
Todd,

The bottom supports aren't in yet, but I am going to an upholster for the cushions, so I will let him decide on the cushion construction. No better way to ruin the project than to try my hand at something I ain't so sure of. I am thinking of dark brown leather.

Bob

Mark Singer
05-01-2004, 9:56 PM
Bob,
Really nice work and great design! Beautiful wood too....its a winner!

John Miliunas
05-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Hey, NOW I see why you were so concerned about saving those stiles! Gorgeous looking QS! You must be doing mortise 'n tenon in your sleep, 'bout now! Great job. :D Can't wait to see it finished off. Speaking thereof, what's your plans for finish? Oil, stain, poly??? :cool:

Bob Marino
05-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Speaking thereof, what's your plans for finish? Oil, stain, poly???

John,

I will go with a modified technique from Jeff Jewitt. Some mixture of aniline dyes, followed by a coat of General Finishes' SealACell, followed by a burnt umber glaze and topped with GF's Arm.R.Seal. All wipe on's.

Bob

Dan Mages
05-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Beautiful work there!! I am sure that it will turn out beautifully. For the leather, I would go with the brown leather, possibly a semi-transparent brown like on a bombadier jacket.

Dan

Jim Ketron
05-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Great job Bob!!
It would make a great place to relax after a hard day in the shop
That is if the wife will let you use that great looking sofa.
Jim

Terre Hooks
05-04-2004, 4:36 PM
Bob,

I am pretty sure you are using plans from WOOD Dec 2000. If not, pardon my mistake. I would like to offer a tip on gluing the top armrest/backrest on if you haven't done so already.

Get the armrest/backrest where you want it, in a "dry fit". Ok, take some clamps, like a K-body or CabinetMaster and clamp one arm down. This way, you can maintain the position of the piece, and be able to lift one side somewhat to spread glue. Get one side and some of the back piece glued, then clamp the free side and unclamp the other side. Glue the other side and reclamp.

Make sense?

Here's my version:

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/album02/000_0202.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/album02/000_0204.sized.jpg

Chris Padilla
05-04-2004, 4:43 PM
Veeerrrryyyyy nice, Terre! Oh, yours is cool, too, Bob! :p

Bob Marino
05-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Terre,

No, the plans for that sofa are not from Wood magazine, though I did use their plans, or rather borrowed heavily from them, for the bookcase and mantle I built. The plans for this sofa, more Praire than Mission, came from all places, Popular Mechanics, but I did find out about it on the Wood forum...small world I guess.

Good advice regarding the back and arm supports.
BTW, you did a beautiful job on your sofa.

Bob

Byron Trantham
05-05-2004, 1:33 PM
Very, very, very nice. I rally like the design.

Dave Avery
05-05-2004, 8:17 PM
Speaking thereof, what's your plans for finish? Oil, stain, poly???

John,

I will go with a modified technique from Jeff Jewitt. Some mixture of aniline dyes, followed by a coat of General Finishes' SealACell, followed by a burnt umber glaze and topped with GF's Arm.R.Seal. All wipe on's.

Bob

Bob,

FYI - I've had great luck with General Finishes products, particularly Arm-R-Seal...... good luck completing the project. Dave.

Lloyd Robins
05-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Gosh, Bob, that is really nice! Did you cut the mortises and tenons by hand? If you did, what a lot of work. Please post a finished pic. :D

Bob Marino
05-06-2004, 7:44 AM
Llyod,

The top and bottom rails have a dado to accept the stiles and panels. All the stiles have tenons - these tenons were cut on the tablesaw. All the rails have tenons to go into the mortises on the legs. The mortises were cut with the router on the MFT and pretty dead on. The longer top and bottom rails' tenons were cut with the router and trimmed with chisels and planes.
Got to get my rea in gear and get this done.

Bob