PDA

View Full Version : Question for JessEm lift owners and Freud FT3000 owners...

John Keeton
08-14-2008, 8:35 PM
What size, shape is the height adjustment crank for the JessEm lift? I have installed a Freud FT3000VCE router in my TS extension wing and the knob handled depth/height adjustment wrench is a pain. i really do not understand the thought process of that arrangement! Great router, and I think it is going to work well for me. But there is no leverage with the knob and it takes forever!

Would like to have a crank like the JessEm to get some leverage/speed. The Freud takes a 25/64", six sided wrench. Any thoughts??

Russell Tribby
08-15-2008, 12:18 AM
John,

I've got the same router mounted in a Bench dog table in my ts. You're right when you say that the wrench is a crank. There's a post here somewhere that suggests using a speed wrench instead of the Freud supplied wrench. I haven't gone that route yet but I plan on it one of these days.

Rick Potter
08-15-2008, 2:30 AM
Why not just put the allen wrench in a cordless drill for the gross adjustments, then fine tune it by hand.

Rick Potter

Rick Fisher
08-15-2008, 3:07 AM
I have a Jessem lift. The handle on mine inserts from the top, bringing the collet to the top for changing bits is not really a big deal, I am guessing 4 turns?

The handle is L-shaped ??

Im not sure if that helps.

John Keeton
08-15-2008, 6:25 AM
Rick Fisher, I looked at the JessEm in a photo, but couldn't tell if it was square or six-sided, and don't know the size of the shaft. If it is the same, 25/64", I could get one of those. Could you measure yours? Thanks.

Rick Potter, in order to use the drill, I would have to destroy the knobbed wrench to extract the allen wrench insert. Then I couldn't crank it by hand. One way or the other, I am going to have to have 2 wrenches. Thought it would be easier to just have a crank and not fool with the drill. I understood from somewhere (maybe the thread Russell refers to) that it could be a problem using a drill and going to far when raising the router to change bits.

Russell, seems I saw that thread while trying to decide whether to get the Freud or Triton. I think the Freud will be fine, if I can get this issue resolved. I certainly don't have the patience to use the supplied wrench!

You would think that Freud could have at least used a levered crank - particularly knowing that JessEm and others use that system.

Stephen Ash
08-15-2008, 2:32 PM
Hey all,

I was one who suggested using a speed wrench in a previous post, and it has worked out great for me. On the other hand though, using a drill does not imply the need to destroy the included wrench - it's a standard hex driver, 10mm I believe. However, and with respect, the drill approach seems like more trouble than its worth since the speed wrench is fast enough and effortless. It's an inexpensive item and easy to find, so it shouldn't be a roadblock to using this router, which really is very nice.

Regards,
Steve

glenn bradley
08-15-2008, 2:37 PM
I use a cheap Costco lithium driver and a 10mm hex drive.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94379&d=1218252183

John Keeton
08-15-2008, 4:53 PM
Thanks guys for the input. Taking all into consideration, I had an extra 3/8" socket drive so I purchased a 10mm allen wrench and a 10mm socket for the drive. Will take a grinder and cut off the allen wrench and epoxy it in the socket. Should give me what I need. You gotta love small town hardware stores!

Thanks again - reading all the posts together switched on the light bulb!!

Wayne Cannon
08-16-2008, 4:34 AM
Unless they've changed it, the JessEm crank is too short -- for some cuts my fence interferes with the crank. I use a 3/8"-drive Snap-On speeder with a hex driver bit.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/20700/20656.JPG http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/Thumbnails/54983.GIF

John Keeton
08-16-2008, 6:46 AM
Wayne, that may have been a problem for me, as well. The allen wrench I used to make my setup was about 6" long, coupled with the socket gives me about 7" net clearance. I haven't constructed my fence - today's project!- but wanted some clearance. Although, what I will doing is a saddle fence that will fit over my TS ShopFox fence which I could simply slide out of the way. Since I would be changing bits I would need to reset the fence in most situations anyway.

Wade Lippman
08-16-2008, 11:34 PM
I broke the "allen wrench" out of the knob and glued it into a 10mm socket. Now it works just fine with a socket wrench.

The crank on my old Woodpecker was better, but for the price...

John Keeton
08-17-2008, 7:06 AM
Wade, for whatever reason I couldn't bring myself to break the OEM wrench. The allen wrench cost me about $2.50, so I just went that route. Works great, and gives me a good amount of leverage and speed - very pleased with the setup.

Wade Lippman
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I had a hard time over it also; but the rubber thing on the Freud part seemed to help, and I just couldn't see ever using it the way it was.