PDA

View Full Version : Now I've Dunnit - Update

Stephen Beckham
08-14-2008, 3:35 PM
Well, all the decisions made, sizes updated, and safety concerns measured. Here are the pre-made logos for the building - ruler is 15" reference. Overall sizes for both range between 20" X 20". They are going to allow me to apply these directly to the wall with the foam tape and silicone.

I bought way too much plastic (it was so reasonable). More to play with I guess. This is one of those jobs that almost has me convinced to start charging artwork time... I haven't felt the need up to this point for many reasons - and I don't need to be chastized about it, it's a personal decision - but jobs like this where I've been working art for a better part of a month, at my leisure of course, and everytime I give them a printout, I get the 'well, can we move this, make this larger...'

Either way - I'll update one more time with photos once I get them mounted to the building.

BTW - did I tell you guys I don't do signs.......

Steve

Joe Pelonio
08-14-2008, 3:46 PM
Looks like a great job to me.

Hopefully the install goes smoothly. The only real issue is weather, you need the wall to be nice and dry. We're getting overnight dew here already.

No comment on the free artwork.;)

Stephen Beckham
08-14-2008, 3:51 PM
After I looked at that post, I realized I didn't give a very good representation of the work. It's seven colors of acrylic (black background). It's all 1/8" Acrylic. It's going on a white wall. These pics give a closer look at the 'first timer' glue job. Being that it's on a second floor - they won't notice the little bits - but it's a bummer for me.

I had a bunch of small pieces that I left out because the didn't seem to add value. The smallest piece I glued in was the triangle piece in the 'A' .

I've still got to clean it up and get a lift for putting it up. One of the members has offered the use of his lift at no cost if I reduce the price...

I'd appreciate input if you have any, I'm trying to figure out if I want to get into doing this or just let this be part of a adventure every now and then...

Joe Pelonio
08-14-2008, 4:51 PM
Steve,

Yes, a definite difference up close, as you said no problem up high but if these were going on the wall of the office it would be another matter.

I rarely use glue for such a job, there are a variety of outdoor durable laminating adhesive films that can be applied to the back of the colored pieces prior to cutting. Then you just peel the back and stick them on. Complete coverage, no oozing out, no mess. I just did several similar (for indoors) with 3M468MP. You could also use silicone adhesive or E-6000 and place it only toward the center of each piece, so it doesn't squeeze out.

Usually it's hard to match acrylic colors, so I like to use black and spray with whatever color of paint prior to cutting, leaving the edges black for a nice effect.

Belinda Barfield
08-14-2008, 5:10 PM
Steve,

As Joe said, much better to see the detail up close. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Joe, for the adhesive tips.

Stephen Beckham
08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Joe - it's actually the acrylic solvent that melts the two together - I kept letting drops fall and by the time I got to the end, had it under control. I thought about the doublestick, but these are going to be outside and I wasn't sure how long the tape would last.

The funny thing was the darned phone scared the crap out of me everytime it rang and I'd jump. You'd figure a 20 year Army guy that doesn't jump at the sound of a gun wouldn't be afraid of a big-bad customer on the little telephone...:eek: Something about being close and in tiny areas...

I took these over to the guy that ordered them tonight and he loved them - he said not to clean them - they were just fine for a three story building - it's going on the second level.

Thanks for the input - I think I'm going to plan on sticking with the inside stuff for now... Of course this is my fourth outdoor sign - people just keep asking for more and I'm a sucker for a J-O-B....

Steve

Mike Null
08-15-2008, 8:31 AM
Steve

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing all of it including the warts. Next time you won't have any warts. But considering the location I agree with you, it's "commercially acceptable".

When using the 3m adhesive it's important to use a mechanical device of some kind--even a j roller-- to ensure that adquate pressure is applied for good contact all over the piece. As it cures it becomes even stronger.

Scott Shepherd
08-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Steve, outside signs pay well, don't abandon them yet! Keep in mind, most of the sign chain stores don't go onsite, so if you're willing to do so, then you have a competitive advantage over some of them.

Bob Cole
08-23-2008, 5:07 PM
As Joe mentioned using the two sided tape works very well. I've been lazy so I usually have JP apply the adhesive. All I have to do is cut, peel and stick. I think JP charges $3 for a 12x24 sheet to apply before they ship. Joe mentioned 3m468MP. I noticed that JP uses 3M467MP.

Stephen Beckham
08-23-2008, 10:55 PM
I thought about using JP, but found a company downtown that sells me acrylic in a rainbow of colors. 2'X4' sheets at the same price I can get a 12"X24" from anywhere else - but they don't carry cast...

I hadn't posted anything lately on this because I'm waiting. The pieces are all cut and stacked for installation, but they put me on hold. They have a fella with a lift to help put it up. Probably save them another $100 by using his truck versus renting a lift...

I'm suppose to be able to do it sometime over the next two weeks - I'll post pictures then.

Steve

Stephen Beckham
08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Well - they are up.

I got the wrong dimensions from them on the overall size, so the rep there said center it best possible and leave it. I'd made the letters a bit bigger had I known - the logos were as large as I can cut with my laser.

The F&AM appears to be off mark to the right a bit, but the ruler said it was right.

The whole window was off level about 2-3 degrees (according to laser level). The picture doesn't do well, but it's centered on the window not actually level.

We didn't finish until just after 9PM, so I will have to go back and get day light photos and post them then.

Steve

Mike Null
08-27-2008, 7:14 AM
Steve

I like your work with the laser but it seems like a vinyl cutter is in order for you. That way you can get the larger size you need as well as a huge variety of colors.

Stephen Beckham
08-28-2008, 7:44 AM
Mike - I've got a buddy who does the vinyl cutting for me and it was offered. I figure he's got the equipment and we trade work back and forth so I'd probably never use it much for myself. Either way, that was offered to them and I'm glad they said no.

They had a very good (new) coat of epoxy paint after sandblasting most of the building. SO - it was very pitted where the old sign was. It was originally piece of plywood with vinyl letters that was messed up in the tornado this summer.

They're happy - let's just see if they come through with a check now... :eek:

Seriously - they're good for it - here are the daytime pictures.. Thanks to everyone for the comments - I'll stick with my earlier comments that I'm going to keep to my engraving for now.... Until someone sees this work and askes for more...

Steve

Mike Null
08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Steve

Now that I can see the proportion and the location I think it looks great.

Text could have been larger but I can see why they're pleased.

Scott Shepherd
08-28-2008, 8:26 PM
Nice job Steve! You did an outstanding job with this and your technique for making the actual sign. I would never have thought of doing it that way and it really turned out nice. I learned some things for future reference by seeing what and how you did it.

Thanks for sharing and I bet money you'll be getting more jobs like this when people actually see it.