PDA

View Full Version : joiner planer combo

jason lambert
08-14-2008, 3:00 PM
Was just at my dealer and he showed me the Jet joiner planer combo, I see some flaws buts looks ok for what I need and a good use of space so I am considering it and wowo a 15" joiner :)

Has any one used one anyone have any feedback? I know there where some threads on this but I couldnt find them. And is jet the best one?

Chris Knudsen
08-14-2008, 3:13 PM
I would definately take a look at some European machines if you are looking at combo's. Hammer and Minimax both make great machines in this catagory with years of experience. I am partial to the Hammer myself, but that is for obvious reasons.
If you need a 15"planer, why not try a 15" combo?

Rod Sheridan
08-14-2008, 3:30 PM
Another vote for the Hammer.

I looked at the Laguna Platinum Series and the Jet, and chose the Hammer A3-31.

I couldn't be happier with it................Rod.

Curt Harms
08-14-2008, 3:45 PM
Search under my user name and Jet in the subject. I haven't seen the Hammer or Laguna machines so I can't compare them. I did see a Rojek a few years ago. The Rojek was a fine looking machine but would have been overkill for my situation and the sucker was HEAVY. My choice was between the Grizzly & Jet. I went with the Jet because it was somewhat lighter and the machine needed to go down steps into a basement. I was able to remove the jointer tables and reattach them with no problems. I'm happy with my purchase and feel the J/P combos are a nice solution to limited space and the desire for a wide jointer.

HTH

Curt

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-14-2008, 3:55 PM
I already posted my opinion on this combo(Jet J/P). I have it for about an year - have no complain, stable machine, clean cut, easy to adjust and set. relatively easy to move (not the best mobile base). I would recommend this combo.
Ed.

jason lambert
08-14-2008, 4:40 PM
ok I don't want to spend 3k+ so hammer is out besides there is no place to go see one. The grizzley looks nice because it has a spiral head. The jet also looked ok but the plainer tables look short really short any one have issues with snipe?

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-14-2008, 8:24 PM
never have this problem, mostly using cherry,walnut, poplar.
Ed.

Bob Mircetic
08-15-2008, 4:15 PM
I've had one for about 6 months now. Had to spend some time initially getting the tables co-planar, but once I got past that it's performed very well.

Although I'm sure it doesn't match the heft or quality of the Euro machines, in some ways I think the Jet has a superior design. From what I was able to gather, most of the Euro machines require you to either remove the fence or slide it all the way to rear when switching modes. To me, this seemed like it would get old real fast. On the Jet, the fence mounts to the jointer and moves up/down with it - so no need to change a thing when switching modes, just flip the table up, swing the DC hood over and you're good to go.

Looking at pictures before I bought it, I was worried about the fence as it looked like it might be a little flimsy. I was pleasantly surprised about that, it's plenty strong and locks down solid.

I believe the only feature the Jet doesn't have (yet) is a quick change knife or a helical cutter head. If that's important to you, then you have to go with the Griz or the Euros.

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Don Abele
08-15-2008, 4:31 PM
Jason, if you search for threads started by me you'll find a slew of information on them. I was really trying to get all the information up front to make the best decision on the LAST jointer/planer I'd buy.

The decision was difficult because the Jet and Grizzly are equal (IMO). Their significant differences - the Jet has a much better fence (no long pole and does not have to be removed) and for the Grizzly - you can get a helical head (which I swear by).

In the end, I got neither. I "fell" into an awesome deal on a show-model Hammer A3-31. I didn't pay much more than either the Jet or Grizzly would have cost. Euros don't compare, but then again, neither do their price tags.

Having used the Jet and researched the Grizzly extensively, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Please let us know what you choose.

Be well,

Doc

jason lambert
08-18-2008, 12:13 AM
so Don your happy with your Hammer A3-31? Do you think it is better than the jet? Where can I see one in NJ?

Chris Knudsen
08-18-2008, 12:33 AM
You can call the sales office in Delaware and ask them if there are any customers who would let you see one in your area.

Jim Becker
08-18-2008, 9:06 AM
You can call the sales office in Delaware and ask them if there are any customers who would let you see one in your area.

They may have the machine on the floor in the Delaware showroom if there are no local customers for a referral. Despite the cost of fuel, it might be a nice ride for you.

Curt Harms
08-18-2008, 9:28 AM
ok I don't want to spend 3k+ so hammer is out besides there is no place to go see one. The grizzley looks nice because it has a spiral head. The jet also looked ok but the plainer tables look short really short any one have issues with snipe?

It's not. The Jet J/P also doesn't have pressure rollers or chip breakers, just a steel serrated infeed roller and rubber coated outfeed roller so I wasn't sure how it would perform but I can see no problems. It might be more susceptible to problems caused by dull knives but I'm far from dulling my first set of knives so I don't know. Mine will also plane less than the advertised 1/8". I was able to get to 3/32" or about .09" as I recall. That would probably work for veneer although as pointed out there is not yet a byrd-style head for this machine. The fence on the Jet is strange compared to traditional jointers and I'm not sure how repeatable it would be if moved from 90 degrees and returned to 90 degrees. I suspect one could put some sort of better 90 degree stop if necessary. I didn't move the fence on my old jointer off 90 degress once I don't think so I'm not too concerned about it. Also, with the advent of affordable digital angle gauges it should be easier to set fences at precise angles I think.

HTH

Curt

Andy Pratt
08-18-2008, 1:22 PM
I spoke with a JET customer service rep earlier this year and was told that they are re-designing some part of it to allow for a spiral carbide cutterhead, so that may be an option soon. The original intent was to have this available early this year, from the sound of it, but that they would have it within 12 months in any case. I think this was in Jan or Feb, so hopefully that means soon here. I called and checked on it again a month or two ago and didn't get much of an update except that they hope to have it available "by the end of the year"

I'm holding out for this option, and will almost definitely buy it immediately when it becomes available so I'll give a report at that time.

Don Abele
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
so Don your happy with your Hammer A3-31? Do you think it is better than the jet? Where can I see one in NJ?

Jason, I am very happy with it. Is it better than the Jet? In build, yes. In performance, maybe. I have a Jet 6" jointer that I absolutely love and only upgraded because I needed something wider. The Jet J/P that a "played" with was excellent and was what I was going to buy until I ran into the sub $2000 offer on the Hammer. While there was still a significant difference in price, I believe the difference was worth it. Would I buy it at full price - I don't think so. But I say that because I know in my hobbyist wood working that I would probably never exceed the capacity of the Jet to deliver acceptable results for me. If you run your machines hard and in a production capacity, I'd say save more and go for the Hammer.

I spoke with a JET customer service rep earlier this year and was told that they are re-designing some part of it to allow for a spiral carbide cutterhead, so that may be an option soon. The original intent was to have this available early this year, from the sound of it, but that they would have it within 12 months in any case. I think this was in Jan or Feb, so hopefully that means soon here. I called and checked on it again a month or two ago and didn't get much of an update except that they hope to have it available "by the end of the year" I'm holding out for this option, and will almost definitely buy it immediately when it becomes available so I'll give a report at that time.

Andy, the last word I got from them when I was pushing them hard about when the J/P with HH would come out was that it wouldn't be soon. They were basically having to reengineer the unit as just swapping the head out caused some serious problems. They also said that's why they would never recommend retrofitting a Byrd head onto the unit. They said they could almost guarantee it would damage the unit.

I'm a firm believer in helical heads, but in the end I went with a machine that doesn't have one and I don't regret it. The two reasons I love the HH's is ease in knife change and noise level. The Hammer has VERY quick setting knives and is significantly quieter than my Jet was with the standard knives on it. So I got what I wanted without a helical head. Can the current Jet J/P deliver that? Not yet. But I think it will and if I wasn't pressed for a wide jointer, I would have waited.

Be well,

Doc

Andy Pratt
08-20-2008, 1:09 PM
Don, I was told the same thing on the need for redesign, but questioned the rep in detail about it and was told that they are redesigning on a timeline of having it out within this calendar year, as a rough estimate. She checked with the engineering department before answering my question, so I hope that it is accurate. Either that, or she just wanted to tell me something to get me off the phone and quit bothering her. Hopefully we hear more soon.

Andy

jason lambert
08-20-2008, 1:49 PM
Yea the hammer is now just under 4k and they do have a show special bringing it closer to 3k but it is still quite a bit more and I am just a hobbiest. I think reality is kicking in (usally called wife) for the price difference I will also hold out for the jet, it will probably have a better finish anyhow with the new head, not that the hammer is bad. I perfer the hammer but from what I am reading no one has benn disappointed with the jet and the price difference is to big.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2008, 2:11 PM

Then get separates. I'd not trust anything less than a Hammer or an MM combo.