PDA

View Full Version : A hint for cleaning sanding machine disks

Phil Phelps
03-11-2003, 5:17 PM
This morning I was sanding some 36" circles I had cut from Gatorfoam with an application paper masking. Well, dummy here, forgot the paper has a rubber tack to it and it gummed up the 80 grit disk. However, denatured alcohol removed it as fast as it gummed it up. It's also good for burn marks on your disks or belts. You can saturate the sandpaper without any harm to the paper. It's a really good solvent to keep handy. Great for cleaning laminates, too. I run it through a gun after I have sprayed latex. OK, that's my Martha Stewart hint for the day. Now, back to the stock market. :rolleyes:

Von Bickley
03-11-2003, 5:27 PM
Phil,

Thanks for the hint. Maybe some more people will post some.

Todd Burch
03-11-2003, 5:27 PM
I would have never thought that denatured alcohol would assist in cleaning latex out of a spray gun. Cool. I'll try it next time I shoot that rubber.

Todd.

Phil Phelps
03-11-2003, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Todd Burch
I would have never thought that denatured alcohol would assist in cleaning latex out of a spray gun. Cool. I'll try it next time I shoot that rubber.

Todd.

I don't want to mislead and say that the alcohol "cleans" latex. What I use it for is "drying" the water I use to clean the gun. I figure if a twelve pack of beer will dry ya' out, the alcohol will dry the gun instead of letting water staying in the body and seals of the gun.;)

John Miliunas
03-11-2003, 9:35 PM
Many may already know this one, but my one single "miracle solution" is "Simple Green". Super degreaser, pitch remover (saw blades, router bits, etc.) and general purpose cleaner. All that and bio-degradeable, too.:cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
03-11-2003, 9:44 PM
I didn't know that Simple Green would do a number on Saw Blades and Bits......thanks John. I have always used Oven Cleaner.............my Uncle had always used it when I was a kid, piddlin' around his Cabinet Shop. The modern Oven Cleaner isn't too bad, but years ago...............................BAD STUFF! I'll try that!

Phil Phelps
03-11-2003, 9:59 PM
"Simple Green". Super degreaser, pitch remover (saw blades, router bits, etc.) and general purpose cleaner. All that and bio-degradeable, too.:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]
I keep forgettin' it. Arbuckle said it was good for cleaning saw blades. I have to try that if I can remember to take it to the shop. (Don't use it on sandpaper. Water soluble don't you know.)

Stan Smith
03-12-2003, 4:29 PM
Oops. I wish I had known about this possibility. I buy the precut wraps for my drum sander. I burned one so I cut it up to use for hand sanding. Will the denatured alcohol work to clean burns from belts?

Thanks.
Stan

John Miliunas
03-12-2003, 4:58 PM
OK, don't take this for bible, but I've actually had some pretty good luck cleaning up a couple belts from my Ridgid ROS with Simple Green, as well. I didn't totally immerse the belts in a solution, but I just sprayed them with undiluted SG and let them soak for a while. Then rinsed them off under running water while scrubbing a bit with a nylon cleaning brush. Didn't do a 100% cleaning, but sure got a lot more life out of a couple belts which I thought were ready for the trash. Don't know what it'll do with the precut drum sander belts, but if you have some that are destined for the trash anyway, might be worth a shot. Obvioulsy, YMMV, but what the heck. Not much to loose. :cool:

Ian Barley
03-12-2003, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by Stan Smith
Oops. I wish I had known about this possibility. I buy the precut wraps for my drum sander. I burned one so I cut it up to use for hand sanding. Will the denatured alcohol work to clean burns from belts?

Thanks.
Stan

Stan

I use white spirit with some success to remove burns and try and eke a bit more life from a belt. I would also have to say that cutting my own loadings from a big roll is the biggest cost saving in my shop. I can cut loadings from a 50m roll at less than 15% of the cost of bought loadings. It really is dead easy - you shoud try it

Phil Phelps
03-12-2003, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by Stan Smith

Thanks.
Stan
Ian's method may work fine. The alcohol melts the burn marks for me. Those wraps can get expensive.

Stan Smith
03-12-2003, 10:28 PM
I'll give it a try. I guess that I can apply it and brush lightly with an old toothbrush.