PDA

View Full Version : What finish to use?

Michael Schumacher
08-14-2008, 2:23 PM
Greetings everyone,

I've made a simple little wood project that I'll use with my bike (pedal kind) that will allow me to mount lights on it - it will be used to "expand" the mounting area. Right now I have a horn, cycle computer, light - I have no room left to mount another light to use for riding in the morning/night from work. I built it out of walnut from some that I have laying around. Now the issue is what type of finish? This will be outdoors during the day, so it will see it's fair share of all types of weather - hopefully just sun, but chances for rain and snow are possible, along with road grim. It doesn't have to stand up to everything, but I'd like it to look good, but hold up well for a year or so.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Jason Whelehon
08-14-2008, 2:26 PM
Spar varnish is a marine grade finish.

Jim Becker
08-14-2008, 3:46 PM
Spar varnish is a marine grade finish.

Only if it's a "real" marine product. The "spar varnish" from many mass marketers is not necessarily anything special...marketing at work. Spar varnish, however, is designed to be flexible. So I'll agree that it might be a good choice for a piece of wood used as described, but the OP should also insure that the product chosen also has UV protection listed. If the "shelf" is kept clean and the bike normally stored indoors, performance of the finish should be just fine.