PDA

View Full Version : Why do good deeds never go unpunished?

Chuck Wintle
08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Yesterday i was helping my son move furniture to an apartment to attend college this fall. Upon returning the borrowed pick-up and trailer to the owner it was obvious my son could not back the truck into the driveway. OK. I said let me try. i must have been tired but while backing the trailer and pickup into the yard i managed to dent another car that was already parked there. I felt quite stupid after.

Robert McGowen
08-14-2008, 1:13 PM
Last year I was pulling a small trailer and my son saw a giant deer on the side of the road. We were out in the country and he yelled to back up and so I did at a pretty good speed. I remembered the trailer about the time it jack-knifed and the front corner of the trailer entered the back of the suburban through the quarter panel. $6000 in damage. There......do you feel better now? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chuck Wintle
08-14-2008, 1:18 PM
Last year I was pulling a small trailer and my son saw a giant deer on the side of the road. We were out in the country and he yelled to back up and so I did at a pretty good speed. I remembered the trailer about the time it jack-knifed and the front corner of the trailer entered the back of the suburban through the quarter panel. $6000 in damage. There......do you feel better now? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Feeling better. :):):):)

Michael McCoy
08-14-2008, 1:20 PM
Robert - it takes a big man to absorb someone else's pain that quickly. :)

Shawn Walker
08-14-2008, 1:30 PM

Quite a few years ago... One fine winter morning while it was still dark... I was running late and came out of the house in a hurry, jumped in my van and started backing up quickly...Well you guessed it... I forgot I had left the trailer hooked up the night before...:mad: ... Yup same result as yours. :mad:

The upside was, at the time I was a Bodyman/Painter, so it only cost me my time, and pride.:o

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2008, 1:44 PM
I was backing my 26' 5th wheel in between my neighbors carport and my house. My wife was watching and giving me hand signals. Our new neighbor, a single Mom, came out to exchange pleasantries with my wife. I couldn't see her.....or the gutter at the corner of her carport roof. Neither my wife or my neighbor saw it. Once I felt it...I stopped. Both of them disappeared without saying a word. I think my walking 6' off the ground may have had something to do with it. Luckily they make a sealant for cuts in the rubber roofs on campers.:o

Mitchell Andrus
08-14-2008, 1:53 PM
IIRC - when backing... turn the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go.

Jason Whelehon
08-14-2008, 2:05 PM
yea, put your hand on the top of the bottom part of the steering wheel (overhand) and turn it the way you want to go... also, do not stop, keep going. Well, until you need to stop.

Brian Effinger
08-14-2008, 2:10 PM
A couple years ago I borrowed my Dad's enclosed trailer to move some friends of ours. I brought it to my house one day, and was going to move them a day or two later, so I unhooked it. When I set everything back up, I didn't get the hitch to properly seat on the ball, but I thought I had. Well, I got out of the driveway, around the corner and ran over a sunken man-hole cover. Of course the trailer popped off, hit the rear bumper of the truck and ground down the bottom of the adjustable post. I left a good gouge in the pavement too, which is still there :D
I bought a new post and installed it before I returned the trailer, but didn't have the cajones to tell him how it all happened. I just said I left the post too low and hit a bump.

curtis rosche
08-14-2008, 3:57 PM
i was movin fire wood today, first time i was allowed to use the tractor, and the first time i had driven anything with a trailer, i backed it up a little to fast, jackknifed it and bent the hitch bar that goes from the trailer to the hitch, oh yeah and it dumped all of the heavy wood in it. wont do that again

Shawn Walker
08-14-2008, 5:01 PM
A couple years ago I borrowed my Dad's enclosed trailer to move some friends of ours. I brought it to my house one day, and was going to move them a day or two later, so I unhooked it. When I set everything back up, I didn't get the hitch to properly seat on the ball, but I thought I had. Well, I got out of the driveway, around the corner and ran over a sunken man-hole cover. Of course the trailer popped off, hit the rear bumper of the truck and ground down the bottom of the adjustable post. I left a good gouge in the pavement too, which is still there :D
I bought a new post and installed it before I returned the trailer, but didn't have the cajones to tell him how it all happened. I just said I left the post too low and hit a bump.

I work across the highway and up a hundred feet from a boat dealer, and have seen that happen a few times... I'ts just as funny everytime. :p

It's even funny if you just hear it happen. :D

David DeCristoforo
08-14-2008, 5:55 PM
Well, this ain't a trailer thing but it's still pretty stupid. Stopped for gas. Did the card thing, put the hose in, started the pump. Had to pee. Went inside. Did so. Got a sandwich. In a big hurry. Went out, jumped in the car and off down the road. People kept honking at me and pointing. What? WHAT?? Finally stopped to check my car and... well...ur...umm, bigger than you know what, there was the gas pump hose hanging from the pump handle still stuck in the side of my car. Doh! Still got it. Thinking about hanging it on the wall of the shop. Really should take it back but I feel so sheepish. Luckily... no damage.....

Bonnie Campbell
08-14-2008, 6:14 PM
Well, this ain't a trailer thing but it's still pretty stupid. Stopped for gas. Did the card thing, put the hose in, started the pump. Had to pee. Went inside. Did so. Got a sandwich. In a big hurry. Went out, jumped in the car and off down the road. People kept honking at me and pointing. What? WHAT?? Finally stopped to check my car and... well...ur...umm, bigger than you know what, there was the gas pump hose hanging from the pump handle still stuck in the side of my car. Doh! Still got it. Thinking about hanging it on the wall of the shop. Really should take it back but I feel so sheepish. Luckily... no damage.....

And they always claim that picture of it is of a woman driver! NOW we know it was YOU David!!!! :eek::D:D:D

David DeCristoforo
08-14-2008, 6:34 PM
"And they always claim that picture of it is of a woman driver..."

Well, send me your picture and when I hang the hose on the wall, I'll put your picture next to it....

mark page
08-14-2008, 6:53 PM
Not a trailer mishap, but still a "now" funny one. I grabbed a heavy duty F350 non-dually diesel from work one day to transport lumber for a 12x40 deck I was building. Had this truck loaded almost to sitting on the axles with wet p/t lumber & bags of crete. This one car had been cutting my off several times during driving and started to cut me off again just after a stoplight. I tapped the throttle (just barely) and unloaded my truck in the middle of the highway in downtown Smithville. Damned slick bedliners!!!! The load came off as pretty as I stacked it and only lost one bag of crete. My butt was dragging from loading this lumber and now had to reload it. Needless to say it didn't get loaded as pretty as in the beginning, but several local people did feel sorry for me and stopped to help load. I had to look at that crete stain on the highway twice a day driving by and took months for it to wear and wash away. To top it off, my then wife later went grocery shopping in the store by the dreaded location. They were all inside laughing about the stupid guy who dropped a whole load of lumber in the middle of the street. Her reply was "That was my husband", which now made the whole situation even funnier for them.

Reed Wells
08-14-2008, 7:07 PM
About a month ago I drove the 22 miles to pick up a bundle white pine from the mill. Well when the guy on the forklift was positioning the bundle on the trailer the front of the trailer popped up off the ball. I had driven all that way with without the ball being secured. Scary stuff!

Mark Hix
08-14-2008, 7:09 PM
Know what happens when you forget to lower the tailgate when you unhook the gooseneck? Yep, easy open bed with an interesting scoop feature customized on the tailgate. Only downside is it doesn't quite close any more.

Matt Ocel
08-14-2008, 7:59 PM
Last spring I was backin up the King Ranch talkin to a buddy on the cell phone when a tree jumped out from nowhere. $1800.
Having to explain the dent to my teenage daughters. Priceless!

Butch Edwards
08-15-2008, 7:01 AM
IIRC - when backing... turn the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go.

..that does NOT apply to farm wagons....found that out at a young age learning to drive tractors... busted barn doors and all :o

:D

Dad didn't laugh tho....:(

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-15-2008, 5:43 PM
every time. I mean every damn time I try to go out of my way for someone not in my family and dammed if the thing doesn't rise up and bite me in the back side eventually.

No good deed ever goes unpunished. And that is just one of the fundamental laws of universal truth. Learn to live with the alligators or don't do no good deeds.