PDA

View Full Version : Getting machine prices can be frustrating...

Dan Hintz
08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Last week I requested basic quotes for engravers from six different manufacturers. So far, I've received only one reply with specific dollar information (the local rep for Epilog), one reply said "Machines in that line start at $X", and the rest simply sent a canned email saying an information packet was in the mail and should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Now I didn't ask a stupid question like "I want prices on your machines", I mentioned machines specific to each company, as well as what equipment and power range I expected. I'm willing to bet these "info packets" show up with no prices, requiring me to take time out of my day and speak with reps directly over the phone, something I had hoped to avoid until I was a little closer to making a decision. If I wanted a hardcopy of the info that can be readily pulled from their websites, I would have said so, but I specifically asked for pricing.

The Epilog machines look great, but I would hate to choose a machine simply because it was the only one I could get pricing info on... if that's the attention to detail I get from the company as a whole, I don't want to think what their tech support is going to be like.

Nancy Laird
08-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Dan, you MUST remember that sales reps and tech support are totally different animals--you can't compare sales and tech - it's like comparing apples and walnuts.

Mike MacKenzie from Universal is a member here (as are a couple or other laser reps). You might try contacting him directly through the Creek to ask your pricing question. I've had really great service from Mike the few times I've needed help.

Jim Huston
08-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I got a strange call last week - from a Laser salesman. Wanted to give me the info I had requested -- A YEAR AND AHALF AGO! Must have been a slow day for him. When I told him I had bought one he expressed displeasure that i hadn't waited for his info.

David Fairfield
08-14-2008, 11:49 AM
LOL Jim, I believe it.

I based my decision to purchase an Epilog partly based on the sales rep, Vic, keeping his word, driving out to my place with a machine for a demo, and answering questions squarely without a hard-sell. I think good service at the sales level reflects on a corporation. At any rate, I'm pleased with my choice.

Dave

Mike Mackenzie
08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Dan,

If you asked the factory for pricing then the answer would have been starting at XXX up to XXX. The reason for this is the reps have the responsibility for quoting system prices. If you want a quote on the system you would be better off to contact the local rep and ask them for the price on the exact system you are looking at. Get them to put it in writing with an expiration date that way you know what, who and how long you will have to make a decision.

Remember you are the customer so let them know what you want and expect and then have them put it in writing.

The factory offers promotional pricing at times, However it is the reps decision on the pricing they quote. If you have received a promo via e-mail then be sure to mention that to your local rep.

If you wish to send me a PM with your location I will be happy to send you some pricing and a contact for the local rep.

Dan Hintz
08-15-2008, 8:27 AM
The part that bugged me the most is I wasn't always able to determine who the local rep was. On some sites, the best I could do was click the "Contact Us" button and hope my message made it to the correct person, but it was either a generic email address or a form page (with no accessible email address at all).

I'm not in a big rush as I'm still waiting on my client to get back to me on what they would like to do, but it would be nice to have all info in front of me so I can make a decision within a day.

Just venting...