PDA

View Full Version : Steel City 6" industrial Jointer + Shelical

Jason Whelehon
08-13-2008, 5:01 PM
Just got off the phone and they said a shelical head will be available for this machine in about a month. Also, he said the bearings are "standard" so in theory the Byrd Shelical head should fit.

*crosses fingers and buys the new head*

Can anyone confirm this?

Brent Grooms
08-13-2008, 7:40 PM
I cannot confirm it but if you look at most of their jointers, hard to tell them apart from the other imports. One of these days for S&G, I need to take a good set of notes to compair dims of castings etc. The 8in paralleogram of SC.... spitting image of my Grizz with grey paint... down to the location of the table adjusters, how they are set up and the fastners used in the adjustment handles.

John Thompson
08-13-2008, 8:37 PM
I'll try to remember to check tomorrow for you, Jason. I just got home from the Georgia World Congress Center where I helped unload about 40,000 lbs. of Steel City machines for the International WW Fair next week.

I'll put your question in my notebook and try to get back tomorrow evening..

Sarge..

John Thompson
08-14-2008, 8:07 AM
Good morning Jason..... I just spoke to Scott Box (President of Steel City) as I see you posted your thread late yesterday afternoon. Sam and Dale who are holding down the fort on the technical line are relatively new and I know that Jim Box (head of technical department) could not have answered the phone as he is in Atlanta getting ready for IWF as I am.

So.... from the president's mouth.. The new Steel City cutter-head is estimated at 2 Months approximate as it it difficult to pin-point Conex containers in the Pacific Ocean. :)

The bearings are standard and the Byrd Shellix should fit......

Hope that helps...

Got to go put together a truck load of machines so.. have a good day!

Sarge..

Jason Whelehon
08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Ask and ye shall receive!

Thanks John, I so wish I could drive down to Atl... :(

*saves pennies for a Byrd*

John Thompson
08-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Good luck with it, Jason. Just take your time to save as it works fine with the HSS knives. BTW.. those are double sided and you don't have to fiddle to set them up. There is a pin in the cutter-head that lines them up. Just turn them over and place the hole on the knife on the pin. Done deal.

I think the 6" has it as the larger.. I will look tomorrow just to be sure.

Regards...

Sarge..

David Eisan
08-15-2008, 6:49 AM
Hello there,

I have put several Byrd heads in SC long bed (not parallelogram) jointers. Byrd makes two generic 6" cutterheads, with slightly differing OD's. Off the top of my head I cannot remember which of the two we use at work, but I will try to check today.

David.

David Eisan
08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
I just checked, it is the smaller of the two generic 6" heads Byrd sells.

David.

Jason Whelehon
08-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Nice!

Thanks for the info!