PDA

View Full Version : Gloat follow-up...with pics

Russell Svenningsen
05-01-2004, 1:48 PM
I promised pics after I mentioned my minor tool purchase the other day. So, here are some pics of my small, one-car garage woodshop. Remember, I am a high school choir teacher, and this is my hobby, though it's where I want to be at any given point in my day(isn't that true of all of us?).

In the pictures you can see my Craftsman TS, which has served me well. It's underpowered, but someday, I will have my PM66 :D You can see my Jet 6" jointer(should have gotten the 8"....someday). Near the back is my Cummins-Marks 14" band saw. Got it through the classifieds, and it works pretty well. In the back, you can see my grandfather's Atlas Drill Press, and Beaver lathe. They are both ridiculously heavy and work very nicely for my purposes. I also have inherited his massive metal lathe, which is in storage at the moment......someday. On the bench are some of his planes I have restored....a nice Stanley #5(needs new handles yet), a block plane. I am working on his Stanley #7 jointer and a #4 smoother.....both have a long way to go. The #5 is terrific with the Hock A2 blade I bought for it.........what a difference. There are several more block planes, and 3 jack planes of unknown maker, not pictured. Will be restoring those as I go. In front of those planes, you can see a brandy-new block/smoothing plane of maple and walnut made by Chad Boehlke, Nebraska. My only wood plane and I can't wait to get going with it! Next to those, my grandfather's marking gauge. No idea how old that is. Behind that, my Delta mortiser. Underneath the bench, (not pictured)my Delta 22-540 "lunchbox" planer. I hate it. Will be upgrading soon. Also my new 12" disk sander. I did have the new Jet with the integral dust collection, but for the amount I used it and teh space it took up, it wasn't worth it. I now have a $350.00 credit at Mueller Bros. Woodworking Equipment in Cincinnati which I am going to use very soon. What you can't see is the very thing that started this all, my new PC pancakce compressor brad/nail gun combo kit. Very nice. Don't know why I didn't get a separate picture, and I'm too lazy to go back out right now. Also my Craftsman router table..........total POC. Will be building my own at some point.
The black cabinet in the back houses many things: many jigs, sanders, hardware, biscuit joiner, several routers and automotive tools. It's a sturdy cabinet which I got for nothing from a friend in downtown Cincy whose advertising company was re-decorating. Got 4 of them. One in the basement( for my wife's scrapbooking addiction), 2 to friends, one in the shop. Sweet deal.
The more astute of you may have noticed the cords in the back.........I have to run the whole deal off a single 15 amp, 110V circuit. I know, I know, electric will be upgraded....if we don't move that is.
On the left, is about 150 bd. ft. of ash that I bought from a farmer in Indiana with his own mill for $60.00. Beneath it, you can't really see it well is almost 1000 bd. ft. of maple that I got when a friend had a HUGE tree taken down. Cost? $25.00 Uhaul trailer rental.....plus the $5.00 insurance. Nearly squashed that trailer, but hey, that's what that insurance is for, right? :rolleyes: The big boards are 8/4 and 10/4 and are 21" wide. How am I going to mill it, you ask? Beats me. I'll jump off that bridge wheh I get to it.
The last picture is the headboard and footboard of a solid ash twin bed I am building for my 2 year old son, Anders. It's coming along. Rails are done, sanding, almost done........finish will come soon.
Thanks for looking, and I'm sorry this got so wordy! It ain't much, bhut it's mine, and it keeps me sane. If you come through Cincinnati, look us up. I'd love to throw a couple extra steaks on the grill.

Best,
Russell

John Miliunas
05-01-2004, 3:34 PM
Russel, you certainly have a LOT packed in a compact space! Been there, done that and had fun with it! I know it helped me keep my sanity level in a comfortable range many, many times! :rolleyes: And, it looks to me like you're turning out some nice results. Nice job on the bed and don't forget to post pics of the final piece! I would, however, give some serious thought to a bit of electrical upgrading in the *near* future! Keep the 15 amp circuit for your lighting and bring in something a bit more formidable for your bigger tools. I ran on two circuits like that for a long time. Thanks for the post and keep up the nice work! :cool: