PDA

View Full Version : Used Biesemeyer fence

Scott Schwake
08-13-2008, 3:34 PM
What, if anything, would you be concerned about, or what would you look for if you were shopping for a used Bies.? How does this one look?

TIA, Scott

Lee Schierer
08-13-2008, 4:26 PM
The only problem I've had with my Beismeyer is ther little plastic shim on the lockdown handle fell off once and the fence would not lock securely. If the fence locks, the front rail isn't dinged up and the sides of the fence are in decent shape, I don't see how you could go wrong. Perpendicularity is adjustable and you will want to adjust the fence to be parrale to your miter slots anyway.

Matt Meiser
08-13-2008, 4:34 PM
Even if the faces are damaged, they could be replaced. Obviously, I'd deduct accordingly from what I'd be willing to pay.

I've lost the same piece as Lee before. I replaced mine with a piece of plastic laminate. Its small enough that a piece from the sample rack at the Borg would work fine.

scott spencer
08-13-2008, 5:10 PM
Make sure everything is straight....just about any other issue is easily fixed.

Frank Drew
08-13-2008, 5:19 PM
Not that you couldn't fab one up to fit, but aren't they semi-custom to individual model saws, with cutouts in specific places in the front angle iron for miter grooves, etc.? It's been a long time since I sold my saw that had one so maybe I'm misremembering; I loved the fence though -- total improvement over what Powermatic and Unisaw were offering at the time.

glenn bradley
08-13-2008, 5:40 PM
The holes in the fence rails will be saw specific. Many Brand A saws are the same and many Brand B saws are the same. Even if the fit was off, drilling new holes is not a big deal on a Bies. That's one of the benefits; they are built like a truck but extremely accurate.

Ted Torres
08-13-2008, 6:14 PM
Scott,

Not sure what the used asking price is, but HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Biesemeyer-36-B30-Commercial-30-Inch-System/dp/B000H0VHFU/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1218665361&sr=1-46) is the Delta\Biesemeyer 36-B30 Commericial Fence\Rails\Legs System for a great price-NEW! :)

Good luck with the purchase!

Ted

Scott Schwake
08-13-2008, 7:41 PM
Scott,

Not sure what the used asking price is, but HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Biesemeyer-36-B30-Commercial-30-Inch-System/dp/B000H0VHFU/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1218665361&sr=1-46) is the Delta\Biesemeyer 36-B30 Commericial Fence\Rails\Legs System for a great price-NEW! :)

Good luck with the purchase!

Ted

$250 with the saw (which I don't really need), that price at Amazon seems good, I'll keep it in mind if it doesn't work out, thanks.

Chris Kennedy
08-13-2008, 7:53 PM
What, if anything, would you be concerned about, or what would you look for if you were shopping for a used Bies.? How does this one look?

TIA, Scott

From that photograph . . . in the distance and small.:D

Seriously, Biesemeyers are workhorses. If it looks like it is decent shape, looks like it has all its parts, and locks well, it is probably just fine.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim O'Dell
08-13-2008, 7:57 PM
Also check your local Craigs List. Maybe put an ad in that you want to buy one. Someone may have an extra from the Lowes Biese blow out last year. Seems I remember some selling the extras they bought for under 200.00 in the CL here. Jim.

edit. On re-examination of the photo, is that the 30" or the 50" on the saw? The photo may be deceiving, but it looks longer than my 30".

Scott Schwake
08-13-2008, 10:55 PM
On re-examination of the photo, is that the 30" or the 50" on the saw? The photo may be deceiving, but it looks longer than my 30".

Not sure, I forgot to ask. I was thinking it was the longer one, but like you say, the picture may be deceiving.

I looked at a new Delta T2 fence tonight, pretty nice and only $150 ($90 out of pocket with use of a gift card)! So, is a used Bies worth the extra $100 for a weekend workshop warrior?

Jim O'Dell
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I've never used a T-2. There are some that like it better than the Biese. More optons for customization. But I really like my Biese. It is rock solid. And with the special clamps that Rockler sells for adding a sacrificial fence to the Biese, (or any fence for that matter) I think it will do everything I want it to do. I just wish the rails were longer. I moved mine all the way to the right, and I can get about 48" cut to the right and zero to the left. But that works just fine for me. Jim.

Paul Greathouse
08-14-2008, 1:06 AM
The bies fence looks great, but since its not your saw I've got to say what no one else has yet. What was that guy thinking?

Putting that fine fence on that saw is like putting a sniper scope on a BB gun.:D

Jeff Duncan
08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Not sure, I forgot to ask. I was thinking it was the longer one, but like you say, the picture may be deceiving.

I looked at a new Delta T2 fence tonight, pretty nice and only $150 ($90 out of pocket with use of a gift card)! So, is a used Bies worth the extra $100 for a weekend workshop warrior?

Don't forget if the saw comes with it, you could sell the saw for maybe $50-$75 making the cost difference much less. I like the Beis fences but haven't had any experience with the Delta T2 so.....
good luck,
JeffD

I'm sure this won't help you make your decision, but I just paid the same ($230) for a Beis commercial 78" fence. It also came with an overarm guard and a 70's era 3hp Uni attached to it:D
Online auctions are a great place to find bargains if your willing to look and be patient.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-14-2008, 1:45 PM
Make sure everything is straight....just about any other issue is easily fixed.

Yah what he said. Bring a long straight edge or a length of colored monofilament line.