PDA

View Full Version : HInge question

Roman Hruska
08-13-2008, 3:32 PM
I managed to build myself into a corner on my current cabinetry project. Through a mis-measurement I made a cabinet 1/4 inch too deep. ( I cut the sides to the finished depth, and forgot about the 1/4 inch ply back!:p The easiest solution to fix the front line of the cabinets is to make the door out of 1/2 inch stock rather than 3/4. It is a cabinet that will be used for dead storage, so the door rigidity issue really is a non-starter.

The only problem that I am running up against is finding a concealed hinge (120*) that can be mounted into a 1/2 inch door. Every hinge that I have managed to examine requires a 1/2 inch hole (actually 12.7 or 13 mm) Can anyone suggest a source (and hopefully a part number) for a full overlay (frameless construction) concealed hinge for 1/2 inch thick doors?

David DeCristoforo
08-13-2008, 3:52 PM
Do a search for "No-bore Concealed Hinges" to find hinges like these:
http://wwhardware.com/showimage.cfm/type/product/productid/WT2420

You must have an awfully tight condition to have a 1/4" door thickness make that much dif!

Lee Schierer
08-13-2008, 4:23 PM
If I understand your construction the 1/4" ply sits proud of the back? If so, why not rabbet the back and set the plywood into the recess. This can easily be done with a piloted rabbeting bit on a table mounted router, even if the cabinet is already assembled. The rounded inside corners are cleaned up with a wood chisel or you round the corners of the back to fit.

Roman Hruska
08-13-2008, 4:42 PM
David:

Thanks, that fits the bill perfectly.

Lee:

That was my first thought, but the cabinet is already installed with countertop and several bookcases resting on the countertop. I was really hoping to not have to remove all of the upperworks to get to it. The piece that it was supposed to match up to was covered wit piles of stuff that need to go into the new cabinet! In case you have not already guessed, this is an install in my house.

Once again thanks for the help guys.

Roman