PDA

View Full Version : Trading wood

John Frigillana
08-13-2008, 2:23 PM
:rolleyes: Are there any regulations as to sending wood blanks through the mail? With the USPS Priority Flate rates, it's a good deal to trade wood with woodturners throughout the US. What's the opinions on this topic?

From Hawaii,
Keoni;)

Rick Gibson
08-13-2008, 2:42 PM
I've shipped blanks from Canada to Texas, Australia and Norway with no problems. Declared them as pen blanks and never had a problem. I usually throw in a half dozen local wood blanks when I am in a pen swap. The only problem I see is if the wood had bugs in it. Any local stuff I send, I harvested it and I microwave dry it so if there were any bugs or eggs they will be causing no problems to anyone.

George Guadiane
08-13-2008, 2:45 PM
:rolleyes: Are there any regulations as to sending wood blanks through the mail? With the USPS Priority Flate rates, it's a good deal to trade wood with woodturners throughout the US. What's the opinions on this topic?

From Hawaii,
Keoni;)
I think it's fair to say that we do it all the time, and we like it!
I have sent hundreds of pounds of Milo, Kamani and Koa (even a little mac nut) from Hawaii on various past trips.
I especially like the new 12X12X6 box.
What kind of wood do you have, and what kind are you looking for?
G

George Guadiane
08-13-2008, 2:48 PM
I've shipped blanks from Canada to Texas, Australia and Norway with no problems. Declared them as pen blanks and never had a problem. I usually throw in a half dozen local wood blanks when I am in a pen swap. The only problem I see is if the wood had bugs in it. Any local stuff I send, I harvested it and I microwave dry it so if there were any bugs or eggs they will be causing no problems to anyone.
Good point about the bugs. Most states don't want Ash wood shipped in, the emerald ash borer is a BIG problem, don't know what other stuff might be a problem...
Hawaii has tough restrictions on produce and plants, you might want to check with your local Department of Agriculture, I'm sure they can help.
Also, I think bark is a no no in terms of "importing" to Hawaii.

curtis rosche
08-13-2008, 2:57 PM
i dont think there are any regulations, but if you want our hobby to be able to continue and still have undamaged trees, i would implore you to please use caution, and soak the wood in one of the many bug killers, so that we dont spread any thing.

John Frigillana
08-13-2008, 3:08 PM
:rolleyes: Just emailed the Hawaii DOA to check Rules and Regulations regarding this topic.

Nancy Laird
08-13-2008, 3:22 PM
Keoni, I've received several boxes of pen blanks from a friend in Hawaii with no problems. I've also received boxes of wood from others, without any problems. I also sent pen blanks to Australia (twice) and Wales and Canada without any questions. I agree with making SURE that the wood is free of any bugs.

Greg Savage
08-13-2008, 4:25 PM
I can tell you that you must have a USDA Import Permit if you bring wood/agricultural products in from outside the US. My permit was required when I imported about 50lbs of wood from Canada. Since then, it has come in handy for a variety of imports. Also, Fumigation Certification is also necessary, but that is the responsibility of the overseas exporter. It is pretty easy to get and I don't remember any fees associated with it.

John Frigillana
08-13-2008, 5:07 PM
;)Here's the Hawaii DOA reply:

Aloha John,
Thank you for your inquiry. There are no regulations for sending wood
blanks out of Hawaii. However, you might want to check on the
state/country (Dept. of Agriculture) you are sending it to.
Sincerely,
Ronnie Harada
Masterjourneyman
Plant Quarantine Branch

Great answer :)

George Guadiane
08-13-2008, 5:39 PM
;)Here's the Hawaii DOA reply:

Aloha John,
Thank you for your inquiry. There are no regulations for sending wood
blanks out of Hawaii. However, you might want to check on the
state/country (Dept. of Agriculture) you are sending it to.
Sincerely,
Ronnie Harada
Masterjourneyman
Plant Quarantine Branch

Great answer :)

John,
You might want to ask them about getting wood INTO the state... They might give a different answer.

John Frigillana
08-13-2008, 5:43 PM
;)That has been addressed. Waiting for his reply.............:confused:

Matt Hutchinson
08-13-2008, 7:29 PM
Not that this really answers any questions, but I thought you might find this interesting.

I few years ago I was driving to my then place of employment. There was a farmhouse advertising firewood for sale. So I inquired, and he happened to have some nice hard maple that was unsplit. As I was loading it I noticed a HUGE stump, and wondered if I could hack away at it. His answer was a very firm and unequivocal 'NO!'. The reason? It was ash. Michigan has had some major problems with the ash borer, and there was a sighting of the bug within a few miles of the farm (this was in Southwest MI). Whatever regulatory body presides over firewood transactions made it very clear that not a single piece could be moved or sold....period. The penalty would have been a very hefty fine if caught.

This strict policy, I believe, is still in effect here. In fact, the mentioned bug sighting resulted in around 23,000 ash trees and saplings being cleared, and that total was only what was within a 1/2 mile radius!

Hutch

William Bachtel
08-13-2008, 8:06 PM
You can partly thank the Chinese for that beetle

Curt Fuller
08-13-2008, 8:31 PM
:rolleyes: Just emailed the Hawaii DOA to check Rules and Regulations regarding this topic.

I bought a couple boxes of wood from Aloha Woods http://www.alohawoods.com/ while on vacation. No rules, regulations, or otherwise as far as I know. In fact, it beat me home and was waiting on the porch for me when I got home. Unless shipping outside the United States, I've never had to declare what was in a package. So I think shipping into or out of Hawaii should be OK.

This post really sparked my interest. I've never seen so many beautiful varieties of wood as there are in Hawaii. Or so many talented woodturners and woodworkers concentrated in such a small area.

Thomas Canfield
08-13-2008, 9:55 PM
It seems to me that there are restrictions on wood with bark being sent out of Hawaii and needing to pass Plant Inspection. That might apply to turning blanks that were not dried and bark removed. I had several flat rate boxes shipped back that were all cut blanks with bark removed.

I did notice that a lot of the "white wood" lumber in Hawaii came from many different countries including Mexico. Go figure, but then it is "dried" and inspected. Also Maple and some of the other hard woods were shipped in from the mainland.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-14-2008, 1:50 AM
I sure wouldn't want to turn wood with insecticide in it, :eek:

Gary DeWitt
08-14-2008, 3:12 AM
Coming back from vacation in Hawaii, I brought a small suitcase, around 25 lbs. of koa etc. Already prepared as blanks. A few very odd stares from the officials, but no questions or restrictions.
However, on the way IN to Hawaii, I was asked to check the bottoms of my shoes and pant cuffs for stray seeds, and I got the impression I could be jailed for bringing in so much as a raisin! I understand what they are trying to do, but it's a bit like closing the barn door after the horses are already loose. There are many non-native species of plants and animals there, starting with stuff the polynesians brought with them! Even the misguided government there had a program importing and planting eucalyptus, of all things. Now they can't get rid of them.

scott schmidt grasshopper
08-14-2008, 12:34 PM
hello. christmas tree farmer here who has been asked to ship trees to hawaii, there are many regulations about wood and plants going INTO the state. main issues are dirt bark and fumagation/ rediation
the state is VERY correct in not wanting more invasive plants. yes the critters and plants have been getting in but they need to quarentine things that might bring in more. one little borer or spider can devistate the whole paradise,
here in oregon we have areas offlimits to export to cali cause of bugs. and all the state have certain speices they are fighting to keep out
with wood I would think all bark removal, no dirt, and heat ( as in kiln drying) would be in order
scott ( waiting to see what Keoni might want to trade for )

Mike Vickery
08-14-2008, 2:42 PM
Nancy Mentioned Australia, so I thought I would add in I have heard from turners in Australia that sending them spalted wood is a no no and they can get heavily fined for it if caught.

John Frigillana
08-14-2008, 9:36 PM
Hawaii DOA Reply:

John,
Those are considered processed so they are ok to import.
Ronnie