PDA

View Full Version : Employment - Things are looking up!

Matt Hutchinson
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I just got a job at Woodcraft! Woohoo! I had an interview last Friday, and I just got a call back this morning. I start next Tuesday. :)

This is quite a relief, cuz last winter was unbelievably stressful. We were just squeaking out our bill payments. It is only a part time job, but that's perfect for me. I still want to have a little time to continue building a turning business. I am so excited..... :D

Hutch

Von Bickley
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Hope everything works out for you.....:)

Anthony Anderson
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Congratulations Matt! Woodcraft is a cool store, and every one of their stores that I have been in, the people seemed really friendly. Hope you enjoy it. Let us know how it works out for you. Best wishes, Bill

steven carter
08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Congratulations Matt! I hope this helps your financial situation, I'm afraid if it were me I wouldn't get a paycheck because of all the stuff I would buy if I spent that much time in the store:(.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Congrats Matt on the new job. Hope things will start looking up for you.

jason lambert
08-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Congrats, just don't spend there more than you make. But at least it will complment your turning busness and you may make some good contacts over time.

Steve Schlumpf
08-13-2008, 1:25 PM
Matt - congrats on your new job! Hope you are left with enough time to finish all those turnings for your up and coming show - could be some big money real fast if everything goes right!

Again - congrats!

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2008, 2:01 PM
Congrats Matt!!!!!! Stay strong and focused.

Matt Hutchinson
08-13-2008, 4:45 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes and encouragement. I am really looking forward to having a reliable income.

But like you all alluded, I will have to make a very concerted effort to keep up with the turning business. Days I work their second shift, 11 am to 7 pm, I can easily get up early and turn. The other days will be more difficult, having to turn after being on my feet for 8 hrs. Even so, I feel blessed to have an opportunity to have my cake and eat it too, though it will be a lot of work.

Yes, I will have to be careful about how much I spend. I am lacking some very important tools, such as clamps. Those alone can add up fast, but I am pretty good at not spending money, especially since I don't use credit cards.

Anywho, time to go finish a birch bowl. :)

Hutch

Jerry Gerard
08-13-2008, 5:08 PM
Matt
Congrats to you on the job , if that store is anything like the one I go to it shouldn't be to bad . They don't seem to be real busy during the week days when I go , and I usually hang around for an hour or two playing . Good luck to you , enjoy the experience .
Regards
Jerry

Don Carter
08-13-2008, 6:16 PM
Hang in there, Matt. I have heard that it is darkest just before dawn. I hope this will give you the means to have some income and work on your turning. All the best.

David Sallee
08-13-2008, 6:58 PM
Congrats Matt on the new career...

Tell ya what, if there was a woodcraft store closer than 120 miles from me (Tulsa OK) I'd seriously be looking at switching jobs myself!! Every time we go to Tulsa (Woodcraft) we spend at LEAST 4 hrs looking and playing.. LOL

If only they'd build one in Joplin, MO .... ;)

Dave

Paul Downes
08-13-2008, 9:23 PM
Congrats Matt, I'll have to find out when you are working and stop by for a visit. I don't usually get over GR way but I did stop in there last week and was planning a return visit sometime soon because it looked like the store has a lot more tools than when I visited a year ago. I had the whole family with me last week and they dragged me off before I could do much damage. See ya around........

Joshua Dinerstein
08-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Congrats on getting a new job! Hope it all works out for you!

Matt Hutchinson
08-19-2008, 8:41 PM
Today was my first day at Woodcraft. Things went quite well, but it's rather challenging. People come in asking for advice and help, and it's intimidating to think that what you say is probably what they will do. It puts you on the hook if anything goes wrong! :eek:

There is a lot to learn. When you have 6 drill presses on the floor and they want to know which to buy and why, I feel kinda silly. I will have to do some research, and learn about all that kinda stuff, but it will come in time. My biggest issue is not having first hand experience. I can read all the tools comparisons in the world, but there is no substitute for experience.

Anywho, I am excited. However, it's going to take a lot of focus to stay on top of the turning. This morning I got up and turned for 2 hrs before work, worked 8 hrs, and just now I put a coat of finish on the bowl I turned this morning. Basically I have been 'going' for 13 hrs, and my body isn't used to it. Oh well, I guess it's all part of pursuing your dream! :D

Hutch

Gary Herrmann
08-19-2008, 8:53 PM
Good for you Matt, congratulations.

I wouldn't worry too much about hands on experience with everything in the store. At both the WC and Rockler stores near me, the people working there seem to have varying areas of expertise. Just like the rest of us. Huh. Who'da thunk it?

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2008, 8:55 PM
Matt - any new job is always intimidating at first because everything is new! This job should prove to be a little easier simply because you are working in a field that you do have knowledge of and also an interest in!

Whether it is woodworking or any other form of retail - people are people and when asked they will tell you what they are looking for, what they want or what they need. You ask the questions - they will narrow down the search for you. Hey - you have a job helping people to try to do what you are already doing - working with wood! Everyone who comes in to your store can teach you something - all you have to do is listen. Relax - have fun with it!

Tom Green
08-20-2008, 2:00 PM
Matt, Don't be afraid to just say "I don't know, let me find out."
I was in WC in Sacramento awhile back and the clerk suggested cutting off the bottom of a bowl, hollowing from the bottom, then gluing the bottom back on. This was his response to my question about hollowing tools to get deeper into the bowl! I lost all confidence in his opinion right there.
Good luck, Tom

Matt Hutchinson
08-20-2008, 8:03 PM
That's kinda funny, but that is a technique actually employed by quite a few turners for really deep forms. I personally don't like it either.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I felt much more relaxed today because of it. :D

Hutch