PDA

View Full Version : gotta love pine beetles :(

Neal Clayton
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
maybe i can use this stuff i spent all day cutting for deadly weapons to rob people at stick-point with or something, but they sure aren't gonna be baseboard parts.

here's hoping the other ~30 or so 12" wide boards aren't suffering the same fate. with the price of reclaimed/old growth longleaf pine losing lumber to pine beetle damage from decades ago could get expensive :mad:.

Richard M. Wolfe
08-13-2008, 4:32 PM
Speaking of expensive.... How'd you like to have had several hundred acres of pine that you were counting on as retirement income (as I know of in one lady's case) that the pine bark beetles mowed through?

jim mckee
08-13-2008, 6:53 PM
Speaking of expensive.... How'd you like to have had several hundred acres of pine that you were counting on as retirement income (as I know of in one lady's case) that the pine bark beetles mowed through?
N central tn.
They made this already impoverished area look like a Nuclear Winter.

Wormy white pine (not the beetle but another that eats dead standing white pine)

MY PIC HERE.
A wormy white pine chest-

Well I'm trying to place a pic but the site says I already posted that pic on another Thread.
Yea So What?
I'm trying to place it here also.

Don't seem to have any trouble placing useless smiley faces though do we?
Why doe's it have to be so hard to post pics on a forum?
jim

Richard M. Wolfe
08-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Know what you mean, Jim. My brother lives in Chattanooga and said the arborists (tree removers) are making a good living taking dead pine out of people's yards. He (my brother) paid a good bit to have two taken from next to his house; he was willing to pay for having a bonded service.

David G Baker
08-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I lost around 40 Red Pine to some sort of beetle. I had them cut and hauled away. The cutting and hauling was free but it cost me around $400 to get the stumps ground down.
The trees were still alive but were fading fast so rather than create a bunch of "widow makers" I got rid of them. Now I am loosing a bunch of Jack Pine that grew tall and skinny and were held up by the Red Pine. The wind is taking most of them.

Neal Clayton
08-14-2008, 12:19 AM

ouch.

alot of the problem is the pesticides people spray around their yards and houses not only kill roaches but they also kill the pine beetle's natural predator. there's a big flat backed beetle thats sole purpose is to crawl in holes in pine trees and eat the pine beetles. i have them showing up in droves around my shop since i'm cutting all this old pine, from what i'm told they're attracted to the smell of the sap.

Rich Engelhardt
08-14-2008, 6:11 AM
Hello Jim,
re: pictures
Click on User CP at the laft of the top tool bar - right next to blogs.
When that comes up, scroll down to the very bottom on the left and uder Miscellaneous = is a tab that says attachments. When you click that, it lists all the pictures you posted along with the thread they are in.
Simplest way to link to the picture then is to copy the link to the thread, and stick that link in the post.

Clumsy - I agree - but consider that I'm using ~ 5MB of server space for the pictures I've uploaded, then multiply that by the 13,000 active users - assuming they also have 5MB, plus the inactive users that have come and gone - uploading along the way - and it adds up quick. If the forum software didn't limit duplicats, it would be far worse.

The other way is to post the pictures in an off-site internet based host and insert a link to that. The drawback there it it;consumes a lot of bandwidth;stalls the site/server if the off site link is broken or non working.

Either way or a few others I've not mentioned, their isn't a quick and easy way to do it.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread. I would like to see how you reclaimed the damaged wood though.