PDA

View Full Version : UniFence Attachment

Alex Carrera
08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I've been working on a router table built into the extension table of my saw, and wanted to use the fence for both tools. After growing tired of removing and replacing a router table fence that I built to fit on the unifence base and also wishing for a better way to attach things to the fence, I came up with this.
The center section is 3/4" MDF. The saw side consists of a sandwich of 3/4" and 1/2" mdf between two pieces of laminate. The router side is the same with and additional 1/2 section that makes up the adjustable bottom portion of the fence to allow for different sized bits. The 2x4 clamped to the back of the saw is a template for the future addition of a t-track to the back of the saw that I can use to clamp down the back of the fence when using jigs that put vertical pressure on the fence. Tape shims were used to get the two sides straight and parallel to one another.

I'm amazed at how much stiffer the pieces got when I laminated both sides.

Dewey Torres
08-13-2008, 12:24 PM
How much does the extra weight effect the operation of the fence? Does it require a considerable amount more effort to move it now?

Using the fence from both sides of the blade has to be a great convenience.

Alex Carrera
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I was worried about the weight. It does increase the effort, but not by an appreciable amount. Also, after some internal debate I used a dry teflon lube on the cast iron top and then waxed it. Seems much slicker than with just wax. I don't think it will cause finish problems, as I've used it on tools before and never had an issue.

using both sides and having the T-tracks helps with a lot of things. Jigs should be much easier to make. My most significant worry is long term stability of it's dimensions.

BTW - there is a shop vac fitting on the back for fence dust collection on the router side.

Dewey Torres
08-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice set up. I also have the unifence and have a router table built in to my extension but I use an incra positioner for the router fence. The built in dust collection (you will find) is a good idea.
You might already know that they make a uni-t fence which squares off the uni but it still uses the arm on the right hand side so you can't use it on both sides of the blade like you can with yours.
Have you made any jogs for it yet?

Alex Carrera
08-13-2008, 2:26 PM
Which Incra? I have the original Incra, but find it too easy to deflect, and I only use it for very light duty joinery. I would love to have one of their newer systems, but I work in the financial industry, so I'm saving as much as I can right now. No jigs built yet, except for featherboards. I've really not had a chance to use it much yet. I just got finished with it and took the time to align everything on Monday night.

Dewey Torres
08-13-2008, 2:59 PM
its the LS super system:

http://www.incra.com/images/rtf_lssupersystem_zoom.jpg

The fence is pretty tight. I mean you can't attach a swingset to it but woudn't think twice about using it for things other then light duty.