PDA

View Full Version : Need a little design help please!

Michael Hammers
08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
My materials are dictating design!
I hope someone may be able to lend some insight on this. I am having difficulty finding information on elements of an "acorn" style wedge tenon. Landis has a short blurb but not too much.
I am not going to be able use a "tusk" thru the shoulder of a large tenon because of checking so I am switching to a "horizontal" type.
In Landis's book he states two 1" holes should be drilled at opposite angles.
The legs are 4" across. I really do not want the wedge to extend past the leg itself. So I am thinking of turning a cylinder of mahogany, and then cutting it lengthwise at an angle making two wedges. I then will dress them up to look like, well an.....acorn :D
I need to determine what angle and size to create the holes me thinks :rolleyes:
Anyone here ever done such a thing or have any insight? It would be much appreciated...
Thanks,
MSH

Bob Smalser
08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I am not going to be able use a "tusk" thru the shoulder of a large tenon because of checking....

I need to determine what angle and size to create the holes me thinks....

All tusk tenons have a short grain problem. That's why the ends are reinforced with dowels, pins, butterflies or some other method.

I understand what he's describing in "horizontal" tusks or wedges, but I don't envision them being as secure as conventional tusks.