PDA

View Full Version : Ah....the joys of funnel making.

Matt Hutchinson
08-12-2008, 6:46 PM
Over the last few days I have put quite a bit of time into a weirdly spalted sycamore sapwood bowl. In case you are wondering, sycamore sapwood doesn't like to have its endgrain turned. It's almost like punky wood, without even rotting. So anyway, I was trying to save this bowl, cuz it had a nice shape. It was around 12" in diameter, and I was hoping if I fortified the grain I might be able to get clean cuts. It worked on the outside, which is the easiest part of bowl turning anyway. On the inside I had issues. So I decided to get messy. I was going to clean up the tearout with a 60 grit powerlock disc. The walls were already kinda thin, but this was working.....a little too well. I definitely removed the tearout. The only problem is that I removed everything.....EVERYTHING! Needless to say, it won't be going to the upcoming craft fair. :( Bummer.

So I got back on my horse and finished a mulberry bowl.

Hutch

John Nowack
08-12-2008, 7:08 PM
I have seen your other stuff and read how knowledgable youa re about he craft so, (don't take offense) it is actaully refreshing that this kind of thing can happen no matter how good your are ( I am still a beginner over a year later)---------What about useing that whole CA glue and coffeeground trick I always read about;):)

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2008, 7:21 PM
Well Matt join the crowd. It is a bummer when that happens. Seems to me most of my funnels I wasn't paying attention to details.

curtis rosche
08-12-2008, 8:43 PM
stabalize with epoxy and make it into art, sell for a lot

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2008, 9:49 PM
Matt - stuff happens! Learn from it and move on!

Matt Hutchinson
08-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I have messed up a few bowls before, so I am used to it now. I mean, I still feel disappointment when I screw up a piece, but I deal with it better now. Not to mention the fact that I don't have time and energy to fret over it. Too much work needs to be done!

Hutch

robert hainstock
08-13-2008, 9:22 AM
Bummer Matt. Put it in a corner and move on. A pedestal might be the salvation of the piece. :eek::eek::eek::)
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2008, 9:59 AM
Matt,

You aren't the first and don't have the patent on the process. I screwed up two pens Monday. Yesterday I called the guy who sold me the pens and he admitted he wasn't familiar with that particular pen kit. He gave me the name of the person to call. Now I knew what I did wrong with one pen but the other. Last night I set down with a dial caliper and measure an unused kit parts.....I writing those measurements down. I mean I'm going over it with a fine tooth comb.

Later I sat the two pens next to each other....DUH! Sure enough! I'd apparently was enjoying using my barrel trimmer to square things up! Yup. Trimmed one lower barrel by about 0.100" too much and of course, the pen refill likes about 0.060 of retracting completely.:o

Tom Green
08-13-2008, 2:57 PM
Thats a shame Matt. Looks like that would have been a nice bowl.
Tom