PDA

View Full Version : question about stone and turning, and glues

curtis rosche
08-12-2008, 5:03 PM
when i was in maine i brought back some of that pink granite and some other colors. i know you can turn stone, but what about granite? if so, i was thinking of using the stone as the feature layer on a segmented bowl. i have a diamond table saw, so i can sut it into strips and then glue it into resses' in a unturned ring. the last question is what to use to stick the stone to the wood? epoxy? ca? woodglue? something else?

Paul Engle
08-12-2008, 5:38 PM
Granite is way too hard. Any stone that can be hand carved is what you are after, not stone that has to be chisled.....
try this link Curtis:
It gives a good idea of what you are up against with granite....

http://www.thesculpturestudio.com/stonecar.htm

curtis rosche
08-12-2008, 5:44 PM
even if it is just a little and only 1/16-1/8 needs to be taken off?

well if its to hard to turn, i caould always add it after the peice is turned and then put the stones on, they ofcourse would stick out but they would be polished and round. i have the whole set of stone things, i have the tumblers, i have the wet grinding wheels, i have the wet polisher, the 6inch lubed diamond table saw. so i could really get into this.

what about marble? i have slices of this green and white stone that look like marble.
(you gotta love what you get when grandparents clean the basement!)

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2008, 7:20 PM
Curtis I would have to agree with Paul. I don't think with granite no matter how small your tools would be in bad shape if you tried. It would probably take a lot of shaping to get them back and that is including your marble or stone slabs. What you are talking about I would touch it with my tools.

Paul Engle
08-12-2008, 7:59 PM
Inlaid pieces would be kewel but all have to be in their finish/ed state before adding. Curtis the kinds of stone used in turning is that which is a composit of decaying matter and fine sediments layered over time not
Hot melted minerals from the core of the earth that were under lots of pressure(think earth science dude) soap stone, calcitite , malicite,hemitite ,alabaster ( non igneous rocks) but sedimentary and some metamorphic rock can be carved but not turned so much.
not marble ( limestone becomes marble after being heated and squeezed and chemical change occurs making it hard/ness of various grades and colors ( yep from the minerals and decayed/ing matter getting cooked and squeezed.)
Alabaster and limestone and soapstone are the most popular with out cropings all over the U.S. where the oceans use to be, check it out , you may have one near you.