PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 ??

Curt Taylor
08-12-2008, 4:05 PM
Looking for some input on a possible purchase of a used PM66. Not sure of the year but will find that out in later today. I'd like some opinions on what to check on an older saw like this when I go look at it. Is this a fair price if the saw is in good work order. I know the motor will have to be replaced, will the switch also need to be replaced. Is it simpler to go with a 3 phase converter. Saw is listed as follows.

10" Powermatic 66 Cabinet Table Saw

3hp 3phase motor.

Cast iron table extensions.

Left Tilt blade

The saw is original and complete and seems to be in very good shape mechanically. Great for an easy restoration or use it as is.

Comes as shown. No miter gage or blade guard is included
$500.00

Chris Rosenberger
08-13-2008, 7:42 AM
Looks like a nice saw. You should check the internal castings for cracks & broken parts. This is difficult to do with the table top on. If you remove the motor cover you can use a flashlight & mirror to check the castings. Also check for broken teeth on the blade tilt & raising gears. The switch can be reused if it is a simple on off switch. That is a good price for a saw with a motor cover & cast extension table.

Curt Taylor
08-13-2008, 8:54 AM
Thank you for the feed back Chris. Do you, or anyone else out there, know what part of the serial number indicates the year the saw was manufactured? Also, does anyone know the difference between a static and rotory phase converter. Does static allow less hp/perforamce from the motor than a rotory converter? This saw has the original 3hp motor.
Thanks for any help.

Heather Thompson
08-13-2008, 9:23 AM
Curt,

When I bought my PM66 last November I called the Powermatic support line and was told the first two characters represent the year of manufacture, in my case 05 which is 2005. I would also suggest to bring a machinists straight edge if you have one to check the table for flatness, also would not let this deal sit to long as the price sounds very fair for a machine that looks that nice, good luck.

Heather

Curt Taylor
08-13-2008, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Heather. I don't have a machinist square large enough, only 6", but I'll see what I can come up with to check the tabletop.