PDA

View Full Version : Another badger shaving brush

Don Carter
08-12-2008, 3:56 PM
This one is made from some black walnut that a friend gave me and I have had in the shop for about a year. I got the "knot" from Anthony of Golden Nib.

I soaked the black walnut in BLO for about a week and then finished it with CA, then wet sanded with 600 grit and BLO again.

What do you guys think of this one?

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2008, 4:26 PM
Wow Don that finish turned out pretty. Great looking brush. Can I ask why the BLO over the CA? Just curious as I had not even thought of doing that.

Don Carter
08-12-2008, 5:10 PM
Thanks Bernie, that means a lot coming from you. I just use the BLO to wet sand almost as an afterthought. It was pretty smooth before the CA went on but I has some BLO from the soaking and I just used it with the 600 sandpaper at low speed to smooth the bumps out of the CA. It was the smoothest sanding that I've ever done.

I have been soaking duck calls in BLO before finishing to get as much waterproofing as I can. Thought I would try it on the brush.

Thanks for your comments.

David Walser
08-12-2008, 5:34 PM
Don,

The brush looks very nice and it looks like it would be easy to hold even while wet and soapy. One question: What size "knot" did you use for the brush?

Don Carter
08-12-2008, 6:38 PM
Thanks David. I used the 24mm knot from your fellow Arizonan, Tony at Golden Nib. He has a tutorial on his website that helped a lot.

Paul Douglass
08-12-2008, 8:31 PM
Really beautiful. Great work. I received some Mesquite today, one piece has shaving brush written all over it another says mug!

Don Carter
08-12-2008, 8:44 PM
Thanks Paul. Post a picture when you get that mesquite turned and finished. I have been really enjoying the first shaving brush that I did. I had not used a brush in 20 years but I am sold now. All the best.

Anthony Penchetta
08-14-2008, 2:18 AM
Sweet looking brush Don, great job. :)

Don Carter
08-14-2008, 7:24 PM
Thanks Tony. Keep up the great work. I'll be stopping by your website often.

John Terefenko
08-15-2008, 1:30 AM
Great looking brush. Where did you get the brush head from and what was your finish of choice??? Thanks in advance. I reread your post and see how you finished it. well done.