PDA

View Full Version : Using Alder?

Tim Plantz
08-12-2008, 3:31 PM
I've recently been commissioned to design and build a fly-tieing table for a die-hard fly fishing enthusiast. He has seen one built out of Alder and liked the look of it. Since it is my first experience w/Alder, can anyone offer suggestions on finishing?? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dewey Torres
08-12-2008, 3:53 PM
Alder (sometimes called the poor mans cherry) is very similar to cherry and to the untrained eye some can't tell the difference. As a result it sometimes gets passed off as cherry. Unlike cherry however, alder is very finish friendly and doesn't blotch/ easier to color match. The exception would be knotty alder which poses the issue of working around the knots or possibly having to stabilize them. Have fun!

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 4:44 PM
Page 79 of the October 2008 issue of Fine Woodworking has some very useful comments about Alder.

Tim Plantz
08-12-2008, 4:55 PM
Thanks Dewey. I'll make it a point to select as many clear boards as possible. In addition, would you recommend using a dye over a gel stain?

glenn bradley
08-12-2008, 4:56 PM
Machines well, An almost boring figure makes it show off a finish more than exciting woods. A good substitute for birch in frames or other small parts. I think you'll like it.

Tim Plantz
08-12-2008, 5:00 PM
Jim, You guys up north must get your editions early. Its only August 2008 down here in Georgia. Were you mistaken on the year of the edition??

Tim Plantz
08-12-2008, 5:02 PM
How would you finish it?? The customer would like a light to medium color finish.

Dewey Torres
08-13-2008, 2:27 AM
Thanks Dewey. I'll make it a point to select as many clear boards as possible. In addition, would you recommend using a dye over a gel stain?

This may not be a bad approach; w/ a customer, I might recommend doing up a test piece with 3 shades:
your idea of a "medium color finish" in between a lighter and darker example on one board.

Jim Becker
08-13-2008, 9:23 AM
Jim, You guys up north must get your editions early. Its only August 2008 down here in Georgia. Were you mistaken on the year of the edition??

Nope...I actually walked to the "library" :) to check the page and issue number. I received it last week.

Tim Plantz
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the reference to the article in FW Oct '08. Just read it and it should lead me in the right direction.