PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley spear point striking knife is back

Chris Friesen
08-12-2008, 2:22 PM
I just noticed that Lee Valley has brought back their spear-point striking knife (which has been out of production for some time now). The new one is made under the "Utilitas" brand instead of the "Veritas" brand, but appears to be very similar to the old one.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=60044&cat=51&ap=1

Jack Camillo
08-12-2008, 3:55 PM
I saw that. The only thing I'm wondering is how far into the handle the steel is set.

John Schreiber
08-12-2008, 4:01 PM
Does anyone know why it was off the market for so long? It always looked like a nice tool at a nice price, but then when I had some $, it was gone.

Dave Lehnert
08-12-2008, 4:04 PM
I purchased one just like that from Harbor Freight some time ago. It was like $4.99. Same??? No idea but it does not have the LV name so.......

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 4:52 PM
I own one of those and like it...'didn't know it was off the market!

Brent Smith
08-12-2008, 5:27 PM
I have the Veritas one. It's a good tool, but there are better for getting into tight places.

John Sanford
08-15-2008, 8:23 PM
IIRC, the original Veritas Striking Knife was Made In Canada. This one makes no such claim, and is about 60% the cost, again, IIRC. My guess is they've decided to try off-shoring some of their products, and this may be the trial balloon. If so, nyet from moi.

Gladstone Tools is selling three spearblade marking knives, one with a normal steel blade for $15, and then two with ceramic blades for ~$30. The ceramic bladed versions are Made in USA, the steel???? It wouldn't surprise me if its the same knife as the Utilitas version.