PDA

View Full Version : Scared to go into the shop ...

Joe Tonich
05-01-2004, 8:17 AM
anymore today. :( I immediately screwed up 6 pen blanks. :mad: Figured while I was waiting for Berea Hardwoods to open, I'd run some oak rails & styles thru the Performax to get rid of the planer marks and the feed belt busted (before I even fed 1 piece thru) :eek: Now I have to go to Rocklers to see if they sell them too. :( Maybe I better just wait till tomorrow to go back in there! If all this could happen by 8am, how much damage could I do by 8pm? :confused: :eek:

Joe

Waymon Campbell
05-01-2004, 8:25 AM
I've had days like that too Joe. They are always a real bummer. Hope you find your parts and can get back at it! Good luck...

Tyler Howell
05-01-2004, 8:30 AM
Good day to do something else! Then come back with a new attitude!;)

Randy Moore
05-01-2004, 8:51 AM
Go do yard work or work on autos. Have a good cup of coffee or take wife/girlfriend out for breakfast/lunch or do something else for about 5 hours and then go back in the shop.

You will be OK. Just let everything get it out of its system.

Randy

Jim VanBramer
05-01-2004, 9:54 AM
Go tell the LOYL you're finally ready to tackle that honey-do list of hers. A couple hours of that and you'll be beggin' to get back in the shop! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Been there, done that and revisit more often than I care to mention. Get a cup of coffee, relax for a bit and then just go out with the intention to clean up the shop a bit....BTW, I got my replacement feed belt for my 16/32 from woodworkers warehouse....ran me about $40 including shipping.

Hope the rest of your day gets better. ;)

Dick Parr
05-01-2004, 3:46 PM
Joe remind me unplug all my tools next time you come down. :D

Mark Singer
05-01-2004, 4:28 PM
Joe,
Just pretend the "new guy" entering the shop is not you.....he is a master pen turner that was hired to replace you . He is an expert and will not make the same mistakes you made. If the new guy screws up....get someone to replace him (in your mind) that is even better...its a little mind game...but it allows you to continue working and get a fresh start mentally and wotk at a high level . You will be surprised how well this works! Don't tell anyone...this is our secret...and make sure it is not posted on the internet....the could take me away...

Jerry Todd
05-01-2004, 5:18 PM
JOE,
Leave a window open so MR MURPHY, (as in Murphy's Law), can escape.
Jerry

Bruce Page
05-01-2004, 6:44 PM
Joe, I once shattered a large quartz tube that took 12 months to import from Germany and cost a whopping $68,000 – in 1979 dollars! The quartz tube was 16’ long X 10” diameter with a wall thickness of ~ 14mm. My assignment was to machine the ends perpendicular and machine two O-ring grooves on each end of the tube. The machine was a large English hollow bore, long bed lathe with 42”, 8-jaw chucks on each end of the spindle/headstock. The bore through the spindle was 12” and the headstock was about 6’ wide.

It took me days of painstaking setup that included pressure transducers mounted to each rubber faced chuck jaw, three large steady-rests, one mounted outboard of the headstock and two mounted conventionally on the ways. I had the Dumore diamond wheel grinding head mounted and dialed in and the quartz tube was running true to within .005 end to end. Life was good; I was finally ready to start my first cut! :cool: With several supervisors and ME’s watching, I slowly engaged the spindle drive and watched with horror :eek: as the quartz tube promptly shattered into a zillion pieces. :eek: :confused: :eek: Talk about wanting to find a rock to crawl under, I thought my butt was toast!

No one, including me, had a clue as to what had happened. After investigation, it was determined that there was a significant amount of backlash between the two 42” chucks and that, had caused the tube to shatter. :mad:

Sorry to ramble, but that was my worst day in the shop!

David Rose
05-01-2004, 8:01 PM
You're right, Bruce. That was a BAD day! :eek: Makes my bad days seem small, which I'm sure was your intent.
Thanks.

David

Joe, I once shattered a large quartz tube that took 12 months to import from Germany and cost a whopping $68,000 – in 1979 dollars! The quartz tube was 16’ long X 10” diameter with a wall thickness of ~ 14mm. My assignment was to machine the ends perpendicular and machine two O-ring grooves on each end of the tube. The machine was a large English hollow bore, long bed lathe with 42”, 8-jaw chucks on each end of the spindle/headstock. The bore through the spindle was 12” and the headstock was about 6’ wide.

It took me days of painstaking setup that included pressure transducers mounted to each rubber faced chuck jaw, three large steady-rests, one mounted outboard of the headstock and two mounted conventionally on the ways. I had the Dumore diamond wheel grinding head mounted and dialed in and the quartz tube was running true to within .005 end to end. Life was good; I was finally ready to start my first cut! :cool: With several supervisors and ME’s watching, I slowly engaged the spindle drive and watched with horror :eek: as quartz tube promptly shatter into a zillion pieces. :eek: :confused: :eek: Talk about wanting to find a rock to crawl under, I thought my butt was toast!

No one, including me, had a clue as to what had happened. After investigation, it was determined that there was a significant amount of backlash between the two 42” chucks and that had caused the tube to shatter. :mad:

Jim Ketron
05-01-2004, 8:33 PM
Quote(When it rains it pours) :(
I've had days like that too.
Jim

Joe Tonich
05-01-2004, 9:49 PM
Well, after posting I went to Berea. Bought another piece of Med. Olivewood to replace the screwed up blanks, (I LIKE turning and cutting that stuff. Smells GOOD! :p ) a new 7mm drill bit and a bushing set were thrown into the deal. Went to Rocklers and picked up a new belt (W/a nice discount :D ) and may be doing a demo there on the Performax 16/32 Tues. night. :cool: I'll find out tomorrow when the Manager (Jeff) is there. I LIKE doing demo's, I usually get paid in TOOLS! :D Took my sons up to register for swimming and tennis lessons, went to their baseball practice, then dared to go back into the shop. (Sorta like after getting thrown from a horse. :eek: ) Put the new belt on and actually had it tracking right the first time! Now I have a BIG piece of 120grit (ripped belt) to flatten my #7 Stanley Joiner plane. :D Squared up the Olivewood (2"x2"x18 1/2") so I can cut straight & square blanks. Things were going so well I quit and went into the house before Murphy could strike again. ;) Supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I'll have some more shop time. This time I won't go out till I have at least 1 cup of coffee in me! :D

Joe

Joe Tonich
05-01-2004, 9:52 PM

It took me days of painstaking setup that included pressure transducers mounted to each rubber faced chuck jaw, three large steady-rests, one mounted outboard of the headstock and two mounted conventionally on the ways. I had the Dumore diamond wheel grinding head mounted and dialed in and the quartz tube was running true to within .005 end to end. Life was good; I was finally ready to start my first cut! :cool: With several supervisors and ME’s watching, I slowly engaged the spindle drive and watched with horror :eek: as quartz tube promptly shatter into a zillion pieces. :eek: :confused: :eek: Talk about wanting to find a rock to crawl under, I thought my butt was toast!

No one, including me, had a clue as to what had happened. After investigation, it was determined that there was a significant amount of backlash between the two 42” chucks and that had caused the tube to shatter. :mad:

Bruce,

:eek: :eek: :eek: OUCH!!! Glad I never had THAT bad of a day!

Joe

David Rose
05-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Joe, glad it ended up better than it was starting. AND you have that nice piece of belt for the plane. That will be much easier than using a smaller sheet, won't it? Sometimes it pays to persevere.

David