PDA

View Full Version : Good bluetooth headset for use w/ Palm phone?

Matt Meiser
08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I've got a Palm Treo coming. Until now, I've always used a plug-in headset which works well enough but I never take it with me when I travel because of the tangle of cords already in my laptop backpack. I tried one fairly inexpensive Motorola Bluetooth headset with my current RAZR phone and wasn't happy with it. It was kind of a pain to get it working every time I used it, plus the sound quality was horrible. Not sure if those problems were the fault of the phone, headset, or both. So I returned it and never bought another. I thought with the new phone I'd give it a try again. Online reviews are hard to judge something like this by and I really want experience with Palm. My phone is a Windows Mobile OS, which probably affects the usability aspect.

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
My son uses his all day every day and he really likes the "Jawbone" BT handsfree units. I agree about the Motorola ones. My kids got me one for my BD last year and it's a PITA to use and not comfortable at all. Google "Jawbone" for sources. I think Amazon carries the whole line....

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Plantronics PLT 510. I recently acquired this headset to replace the old Motorola one that, well...was pretty bad. The Plantronics has been excellent; is comfortable to wear and seems to have very long battery life. I currently use this headset with my Nokia E62 while traveling. I have not tried it with my Dell PC, preferring my USB headset for use with SoftPhone on that device. I had considered the Jawbone, but many of my coleagues had expressed angst at the ear wire breaking prematurely.

I happen to use a Plantronics-produced wireless headset on my VPN phone at home, too...the company really makes great products.

James Ashburn
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I have the Plantronics 510 now and am not thrilled with it although it works well enough. I found out after buying it (at BestBuy in DFW area) that some are made in Mexico and others in Asia somewhere. It has been reported that the ones made in Mexico have had more issues with background and wind noise than the Asian models. All that being said, I work with a lot of guys that have the Jawbone and they love them. From my end of the phone I can tell you the voice quality is great and almost no background noise comes though. If I had to do it over again I would go with the Jawbone.

Good luck,
James