PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a new piece of equipment

Jim VanBramer
05-01-2004, 12:26 AM
I know somewhere in all these posts there's lots of information on cleaning the gunk off a new piece of equipment, but after a long week my brain's scrambled :eek: , so here goes. I just got a new Delta 22-580 13" planer (oops .. snuck a li'l gloat in there! ;) ), and it says to clean the stuff off with kerosene, followed by "nothing". What are the other alternatives, and after cleaning what should I put on to prevent the rust??

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Jim,

I always use mineral spirits to get the surface clean and then wipe down with Acetone to remove any MS residue. Wipe dry and clean and then wax the you know what out of it with some Johnson's Paste Wax. Let the wax dry for about 10 to 15 minutes and the buff.

I retreat every month or so with more paste wax and I haven't had any problems with rust on my cast iron and it is almost as humid as it can get here in Arkansas.

Now...about that hidden gloat......PENALTY!!!!! You are to now get out there and clean that thing up and post some pics of it when you get it cleaned up!

Anthony Yakonick
05-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Automotive brake clean, cleans well and evaporates quickly. Use in a well ventilated area.

Robert Ducharme
05-01-2004, 1:45 AM
I also got a hunk of iron a while ago and did the cleaning/preservation the following way:

First, got a bunch of grease on my hands and went and hugged my wife. After the high screaching noises stopped :eek: , she insisted on cleaning up the mess. Of course, I had to tell her where it was coming from so she could clean up the source. Got to train them young to succeed with that strategy :D

To do the cleaning, use kerosene on a rag and get all the junk off.

Next, apply Boeshield T-9 to prevent oxidation (rust)

Finally, apply TopCote to make it slippery again.

So far I have not had to repeat the treatment yet (wife is still recovering). :D

Tyler Howell
05-01-2004, 7:45 AM
[QUOTE=Robert Ducharme]I also got a hunk of iron a while ago and did the cleaning/preservation the following way:

First, got a bunch of grease on my hands and went and hugged my wife. After the high screaching noises stopped :eek: , she insisted on cleaning up the mess. Of course, I had to tell her where it was coming from so she could clean up the source. Got to train them young to succeed with that strategy :D

Rob LMAO.
Good strategy. I've used WD-40 to take off the spooge! A little pricey but it works fast.

Waymon Campbell
05-01-2004, 8:29 AM
I have that same planer Jim...your gonna love it. I cleaned it using Dennis's approach and its fine.