PDA

View Full Version : Stubby has arrived! GLOAT ALERT

Bret Leishman
08-12-2008, 2:34 AM
I just got it home tonight, 1 week after sending my check to Bill at Stubby Lathe USA. Arrived in beautiful condition. Local reseller Rich Johnson forwarded the order and provided frequent follow up. Bill Rubenstein, owner of Stubby Lathe USA the N. American importer & distributor provided excellent shipping response and delivery follow up. I talked to him directly to ask advice and took advantage of his recent Oneway order offer. Being a novice, his advice was well taken. Will be adding Greatlakes casters for mobility (now have nine sets of these casters on most every machine, mobile cabinet, and workbench in my shop). If I get a chance will post follow up once machine has been assembled and running. Though I havent run it yet, you just know a finely built piece of machinery when you see and feel it. Those lucky enough to own and appreciate such machines know what I mean. This year I have it in spades: Walker lawn mower, Grizzly G0636X bandsaw, Grizzly G0634 12" J/P with spiral cutterhead , and now a Stubby -Does life get any better?

sascha gast
08-12-2008, 4:36 AM
I am very happy for you, I also own a Stubby, I got my 1000 about 3 years ago. just an amazing lathe.

be safe though, it's a very strong lathe

im not sure about casters on a lathe...period.
I actually anchored my 1000 into the concrete slab in my garage.

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Oooh....I almost ran out to the shop to let Stubbalina know that another one of her sisters is getting to work "out there"!! CONGRATULATIONS!

I'll add my own concern on the casters. Unless the wheels are completely off the floor when it's parked, you're going to have issues. Further, any slight variation in the floor is going to cause minute twists in the machine and knock the center alignment out. Yes, cast iron bends. Trust me on this! I don't recommend you move the machine unless you absolutely must and then only very occasionally. I have my floor marked so that if I ever have to move my Stubby, it will go back in the EXACT spot, to within like 1/8", so I don't have to go through the alignment process again.

Russ Peters
08-12-2008, 12:19 PM
so what were the numbers that you played in the lottery?.... just kidding very nice lathe and sounds like a great lineup of equipment to support it

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Bret - congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to the photos once you have everything up and running!

Bruce Pennell
08-12-2008, 3:10 PM
Bret life is good! Congrats on the new lathe enjoy...Bruce

Bill Bolen
08-12-2008, 3:15 PM
When you reach 100 years old and give life up due to old age you will have a short trip to "heaven"! Just go to the shop!!Congrats.She is a real beauty...Bill...

Lee DeRaud
08-12-2008, 4:09 PM
Congrats on the new toy!

One question: what am I seeing in that second picture? Are there multiple tool rests on this thing?

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2008, 4:24 PM
Bret you gotta be in hog heaven. I guess you could say quite a year. Congrats on the lathe. Now it is time to get it dirty. Let the chips fly.

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 4:49 PM
One question: what am I seeing in that second picture? Are there multiple tool rests on this thing?

The Stubby comes with two tool rest bases as well as a short auxiliary bed that can be attached in a number of places to the machine. This is to be more supportive when you are using the 30" inboard swing capability of the machine.

Alan Trout
08-12-2008, 5:37 PM
Brett, Gratz. It looks like you are going to have a bunch of fun. I am envious.

Alan

jason lambert
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Congrtats!!!! Wish I where in your shoes ;)

Nathan Hawkes
08-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Seeing pics of the Stubby incites a feeling that I can only imagine is something akin to an opium addict seeing a poppy field, or an alcoholic visiting a distillery, or, ........

Wow. One day. one day....