PDA

View Full Version : Now comes the hard part...

Raymond Overman
08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
A while back I was visiting with a friend and he brought out one of the oddest instruments I’ve ever seen. He sat it across his lap and started playing some of the coolest blues I’ve ever heard. Real primitive stuff with just a stick, an old cigar box, and some strings. He was playing a cigar box guitar and I immediately started thinking, I need to make one of those but use a turned bowl as the resonator box.

So last night I got started on mine and tonight I finished it up. Take a look at my first handmade instrument.

Now comes the hard part. Did I mention I have no clue how to play the silly thing. I’ve tuned it to A, E, A’ like it said on one of the CBG websites (I happen to have a guitar tuner that I bought for my wife about 6 years ago when she was interested in learning to play, God bless her). Now I guess I just have to fiddle with it until I figure it out. I’m currently using a spark plug socket for a slide but have a line on a nice ceramic one. I just hope they’re not to expensive since I broke the bank on making my guitar. I think I’ve got about $15 in the thing (and two nights worth of work).

It's rough around the edges and more of a concept piece than anything else but I kind of like the primitive look of it and it sounds real cool.

The box is cherry with a maple top and the neck is an old piece of red oak I had laying around. No finish.

Whatta ya think?

Steve Schlumpf
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
That's pretty cool looking Raymond! Are you going to Nashville and sign the standard Rich & Famous contract? Looks like it would be fun to play and would have a sound unique to itself! Have fun with it!

David Walser
08-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Way kewl (as my kids might say)! Is it possible to attach an mp3 file with one of your latest songs?

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2008, 9:41 AM
Well sounds like we got a star in the making. That is a cool looking instrument.

Barry Elder
08-12-2008, 9:41 AM
Make a few more out of different woods, thicknesses, and sizes and you've got the instruments for your own band! That's a heck of a good idea!

Bill Bolen
08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
That is really a WOW piece Ray. So...when do we see another video with you singing and playing your new instrument?...Bill..

Raymond Overman
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Are you going to Nashville and sign the standard Rich & Famous contract?

I don't think I'll be starring at the Grand Ole Opry anytime soon. Heck, I can't get a tune out of the thing yet. I'm hoping to sit down with it for a while this evening and figure some things out or maybe a friend of mine who plays can help me out.

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Now that's a really kewel project, Raymond! Could you post a few more pictures that give more details, etc.? TYIA