PDA

View Full Version : 127 Sale (Worlds Longest Yard Sale) Finds

Rob Luter
08-11-2008, 9:40 PM
Here's a few of the prizes I scored at the yard sale last weekend.

A Sweetheart Era type 12 #3 in really good shape, a Sweetheart Era Knuckle Joint #65 in exceptional shape, an ECE #103 Jack Plane that's basically like new, an Atkins #20 small tenon saw with a great etch (In addition to the regular etch it's etched "Board of Education, City of Chicago 1929"), and a Sweetheart era #75 Bullnose. More below.

Rob Luter
08-11-2008, 9:47 PM
More Goodies:

Full set of James Swann Auger Bits, Gerstner Tool Chest, and a Stanley #46. The guy who sold me the #46 (for $14.00) said it was his Dad's and he had bought it new "back in the day". He said he was sorry that he'd lost all but one blade.

All in all it was a pretty good time. There were tons of tools, but unfortunately many were in dogmeat shape or were way overpriced. I probably saw fifteen #5 Bailey planes, ten #4, and a bucket full of block planes. Draw knives were plentiful as were Yankee drivers, braces, and large wooden planes

Steve Clardy
08-11-2008, 9:52 PM
Nice looking haul ;)

Rob Luter
08-11-2008, 9:58 PM
Thanks Steve. The nice thing is that all are exceptional users. I'm really taken with the ECE plane. The iron took a great edge and it peels up huge curls with very little effort.

Steve Clardy
08-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Thats a nice clean type 12.
2 patents dates?

Johnny Kleso
08-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Nice Score..

Type 12 has three patent dates and was the first SW (sweethheath type)

Mark Stutz
08-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice haul, Rob. I have a couple ECE planes and like them. The #46 looks to be in great shape, and is just like all the rest...comes with one blade.:D It is really a handy plane to have.

I'm going to show my ignorance here,but...what and where is the "127 sale"?

skip coyne
08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
http://127sale.com/

Rob Luter
08-12-2008, 6:13 AM
Nice haul, Rob. I have a couple ECE planes and like them. The #46 looks to be in great shape, and is just like all the rest...comes with one blade.:D It is really a handy plane to have.

I'm going to show my ignorance here,but...what and where is the "127 sale"?

Hi Mark,

The #46 is pretty decent. It's in great shape mechanically and has all the parts, nickers, etc.; but it's clearly showing it's age from a finish standpoint. You can still see the patent information stamped into the rosewood handle though. Good thing they don't have to be pretty to work properly. I'm really impressed with how it cuts. The skewed blade makes a huge difference. Since it rabbets so well I may get a new set of blades for the #46 and sell my #78. I'm due for some "herd thinning" anyway after all the goodies I've tripped over in the last few months.

Skip beat me to the punch on the yard sale link. It's really something to be experienced. It's a huge cross section of humanity, a near carnival atmosphere, some freak show thrown in for additional interest, and some of the most beautiful scenery this country has to offer. Well, there's all the tools too. My wife scored some nice depression glass to round out her collection as well.

Rob Luter
08-12-2008, 6:14 AM
Thats a nice clean type 12.
2 patents dates?

Three, as Johnny noted above.

Steve Clardy
08-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Three, as Johnny noted above.

Yes. I couldn't quite make it out in the pic.

Glenwood Morris
08-13-2008, 12:53 AM
My dad was at this sale and picked up a Yankee Brace and a Miller Falls #5 eggbeater drill for me. Will post pics when they get here