PDA

View Full Version : 3-bowl platter.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-11-2008, 9:21 PM
I made this a few months back, and liked it, so did LOML, and it got confiscated :rolleyes: :eek: :D
It's made from Rock Maple crotch-wood, that I cut from the crotch of a limb that had to come down on my son's property, as it was threatening his power-line.
It' is 11" long and 5" wide,and approx. 1¼" thick
All comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Jason Whelehon
08-11-2008, 9:26 PM
Man, that's AWESOME looking. VERY consistent shape to the bowls

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2008, 9:39 PM
Leo that is awesome. Could you give some explaination how you did that. I tried once and failed but I think it was because I didn't move the Cole jaws right.

Bill Bolen
08-11-2008, 9:52 PM
Leo your work just astounds me! Another beautiful and creative piece. I'm with Bernie and would appreciate a few words on how you did this. ..Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Another interesting piece Leo! Love the wood and your design! Looking forward to what you will post next!

David Walser
08-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Leo,

That's fantastic! Did you turn the entire face on the lathe or did you use a jointer/planner to face it off?

curtis rosche
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
awsome work once again

Tom Green
08-12-2008, 1:46 PM
That's pretty amazing! Looks a little scary also, at least on my lathe.
Tom

Leo Van Der Loo
08-12-2008, 9:14 PM
Thank you all for looking and the replies :D
How did I do it ???, well I'll try to keep it short :)
I had cut the slab with my chainsaw, mounted it in the Oneway Jumbo Jaws, and face turned it flat, turned it over and did the other side.
Then laid it out to where and size of the bowls, and marked the centers.
Turned a disk with a very shallow tenon on it, mounted the slab and turned the recess for the disk to fit in, glued the disk on, turned it true, chucked the slab in the Oneway Stronghold and turned the bowl and sanded it.
Did this three times, and then sanded the whole top face.
Turned it over and removed all the recess marks, then turned the bottom side down, so it had two feet to stand on, sanded and finished it.
It took a little longer to do than to type this out :), but the sliding buttons on the Oneway Jumbo Jaws are a real big help to get things centered easily, and then tightened down, though I did use some plastic tape for insurance :rolleyes:

Mike Golka
08-12-2008, 9:36 PM
Fantastic looking work!! Thanks for explanation, one day I might get brave enough to try this.

Hilel Salomon
08-13-2008, 6:37 AM
Leo,

Every time I look at one of your postings, I wind up delighted surprised and awed. You truly combine great imagination with exceptional artistry!!!

Regards, Hilel.