PDA

View Full Version : General 650R problem followed up with great CS

John Ricci
08-11-2008, 8:33 PM
Those of you who have seen the pics of my new 650R may be interested to learn that I found a serious problem with the design. I got the saw cleaned up and wired after which I made a quick crosscut to make sure everything worked...then I went to change the blade. I found that it would not accept a new Freud Fusion 10" blade...it seems to be nearly 1/16" too big to clear the mounting block for the RK. On Saturday I was able to speak with one of their sales reps immediately as the dealer I purchased the saw from was having their annual wood show on the weekend and he got right on the case this morning and made a return call(thanks Nick).

As I was told, the saw had been designed around a blade that had seen its first sharpening :rolleyes: (their new shipping blade works and fits perfectly @ 9 13/16"). In any case, they are currently making retrofit parts which are of course being sent to me n/c and they told me it would be safe to grind the original part to accept the 10" blade without compromising the strength of the assembly. I am very pleased as I had expected no less after purchasing the flagship of their 10" cabinet saws...I called them at 4:45 Saturday and got my reply by phone at 1:45 today! Not bad for 1/2 of a business day.

I urge any other General 650/350R owners to get in touch with your dealer if after trying to fit a true 10" blade that you find the same problem. These folks will take care of you right away. Despite a glitch in a new product, I would not hesitate to buy from them again based on the overall quality of the tools and their exemplary customer service. My .02Cdn.

J.R.

Brent Smith
08-11-2008, 8:59 PM
Hi John,

Hard to believe they would make that kind of error in design, but glad to hear you're getting quick and satisfactory service.

Brian Penning
08-13-2008, 9:31 AM
The same sort of thing happens with the SawStop. The riving knife is too high for smaller diameter blades. ex. WW II.
All blades are not equal in diameter as I soon discovered.

Brent Smith
08-13-2008, 1:16 PM
Have you called for the fix-it part Bri?