PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else...

Tom Green
08-11-2008, 2:56 PM
...making designer firewood lately. I was almost finished with this piece (1/4" deeper in the bottom) when I went to shake a shaving off my gouge and BANG. Monster catch through the side:(. And it was going to be my new favorite! :)
So, Anybody else having this much fun.
Tom

Brian Brown
08-11-2008, 3:14 PM
Tom,

This one was looking really good. There has to be a way for recovery. It's too nice to burn!

Mike Minto
08-11-2008, 3:37 PM
Tom, I'm one of the kings of the dumb move, as well. Many times I've almost finished a project, then let my gouge slip and ruined it, or dropped a form on the floor and dented it - as my wife would say, "that's so you". Condolences, Mike

Leo Van Der Loo
08-11-2008, 4:02 PM
Hé Tom
That never happens over here ,wish that was true :mad::o

Steve Schlumpf
08-11-2008, 5:07 PM
Tom - I feel your pain! Also one of the 'been there, done that' club! Can't see how bad the inside catch was - but just to throw you a save idea - use a dremel and create a custom 'knot' hole where the void is. Use a soldering iron and burn the edges black and most folks would never know unless you told them!

Hope you find a way to save it - it is a very nice looking piece!

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2008, 5:10 PM
Nope me neither I have never done that. Yea right.:mad:

Can you save it? Sure would be worth a try.

Jerry Gerard
08-11-2008, 5:27 PM
Tom - I feel your pain! Also one of the 'been there, done that' club! Can't see how bad the inside catch was - but just to throw you a save idea - use a dremel and create a custom 'knot' hole where the void is. Use a soldering iron and burn the edges black and most folks would never know unless you told them!

Hope you find a way to save it - it is a very nice looking piece!

I'm with Steve , try and save this piece . I don't know if it could be done or even if it would like right but maybe you could glue in those bowtie splices used on cracks for table tops and such . Heck finish it with the blow up , who's to say different . You can always make that the backside ;) .

Tom Green
08-11-2008, 5:31 PM
Hey guys,
I'm not going to try to save this. The catch groove goes probably 90% around culminating in a dime sized hole. The sides were already down to 1/4". I will keep it on a shelf over my grinder as a reminder though.
Tom

Bree Green
08-11-2008, 7:31 PM
I still think it's beautiful! You're such a perfectionist dad!

Ken Glass
08-11-2008, 8:24 PM
Tom,
It feels good to come clean.... I've also been there done that! I am with the rest. You can save it. What a ringing endorsement from your daughter. I'll bet she "knows" you can save it.......so go too it.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2008, 9:46 PM
Looks like it's time for a little epoxy and coffee crystals to me! Might be worth trying to save.

I bought the most expensive pen kit I've ever bought to make a special pen for a special family member who is looking out for my MIL. Luckily I had enough forethought to buy an extra set of tubes!:o

We've all been there and I'm sure I'll be there again!