PDA

View Full Version : LN variable pitch dovetail saw recommendation needed

Wes Billups
08-11-2008, 2:07 PM
Our local Woodcraft is having a 20% off all Lie-Nielsen items this weekend and I’ve really been considering getting a dovetail saw. I’ve read comments that the Lie-Nielsen dovetail saws can be difficult to start due to the aggressive teeth. I want to learn to cut dovetails by hand and was wondering if the variable pitch saw would be a better one to learn with. The reason I’m asking is I doubt our Woodcraft carries the variable pitch version.

I do hope to try out the regular pitch saw on Saturday before buying but if everyone recommends the variable pitch saw I’ll wait and order one online.

Thanks,
Wes

Johnny Kleso
08-11-2008, 2:14 PM
I think I read it should start eaiser..

One way to start a saw easy is to tip it at a 45* angle and push but you have to just make a score or it wil be hard to start you cut on the mark..

gary Zimmel
08-11-2008, 3:14 PM
Wes

I have both. You can't go wrong with either. If you get the regular one and have trouble getting it started, just take some of the weight of the saw off the wood when starting the cut. When I do this I do not have not problem starting a cut. I use my regular one all the time, more so than the progressive.

Good luck the hand cuts. And remember practice makes perfect.....

Mark Stutz
08-11-2008, 4:08 PM
Wes

just take some of the weight of the saw off the wood when starting the cut. When I do this I do not have not problem starting a cut. And remember practice makes perfect.....

Wes,
I really think these two points are the key. A very light touch will make starting the cut much easier...just the weight of the saw. I've only made a few test cuts with the progressive saw, so can't really say if it's easier or not. Personally, for 20% off, I'd go with the regular one, but I really haven't been able to compare them.

It's boring, but before you even try a DT, take a board and strike multiple lines and practice sawing to the line. After a hundred or so :eek:(30 min):D you will be amazed at the improvement, and will be much more satisfied with your first attempt.

Mark

Wayne Cannon
08-12-2008, 12:31 AM
... and continuing that same light touch will help with sawing to the lines.

Ray Gardiner
08-12-2008, 2:47 AM
Hi Wes,

The LN is not as aggressive as a lot of the other saws. At 20% off you can't go wrong. Don't worry about starting, that's just technique and practice.

Regards
Ray

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
There's a short write up on this saw in the latest issue of Fine Woodworking. Looks like a very nice tool to me!

Wes Billups
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Jim, the FWW article is the reason I was asking. Based on everyone's response I think I'll try the standard pitch. If I fail to learn to use it I know I can always sell it on ebay for about what I paid and then get the variable pitch.

Thanks,
Wes

Mark Singer
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I have the LN dovetail saw and it is a great saw. Starting is not an issue , it cuts straight and fast

Dave Anderson NH
08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
I've had a L-N dovetail saw since just after Tom acquired the rights from Independence. It has always cut well and I've never had a difficulty starting it.

Just as a suggestion to anyone who buys a brand spanking new dovetail saw of any brand, break it in. An unused new saw will not cut as well as one which has had a couple of dozen or more cuts done on it. I believe it is because the new saw still has micro burrs where the filed edge meets the sides and this offers additional friction until the burr breaks off. Maybe Mike Wenzloff can chime in here and either confirm or deny my hypothesis.

By the way I also own a couple of Wenzloff saws and they are the cats meow.

Chuck Nickerson
08-12-2008, 1:38 PM
Starting a cut with any saw - what works for me. I had trouble staring a cut with my LN DT saw, and occasionally with my other saws (Gramercy, Wenzloff, etc.). For me, developing the 'touch' or lightening the pressure was easy, once I saw the trick.

Look where your hand applies pressure to the handle. On all saws I have, that part of the handle has a strong dogleg. When I have trouble starting the cut, I consciously apply pressure at the lower part of the handle - the more vertical part. This lightens the downward pressure, and I believe it's why the dogleg is there.

Jim Becker
08-12-2008, 1:49 PM
Wes, when I bought my Adria, I had to get used to it relative to starting...especially since I'm still a neophyte Neander. It's gotten easier over time and I suspect if I actually got more time in the shop to use any of my tools, including the saw, I'd be even more comfortable with starting my cuts...