PDA

View Full Version : Glue for MDF?

Jerry Todd
04-30-2004, 8:52 PM
Will be using 3/4 inch MDF as a substrate for a kitchen counter top that will be covered with formica. Want to double the thickness around the edges and want to know what glue works best. Can I use screws in MDF?
Jerry

Mark Singer
04-30-2004, 9:13 PM
Screws are great....TightBond works good and contact cement between the Formica and MDF

Dave Avery
04-30-2004, 9:22 PM
Jerry,

I've had good luck using poly (Gorilla) glue for MDF laminations. Scews are not required and my experience is that MDF will telegraph things (when using screws) sometimes. Dave.

Chris Padilla
04-30-2004, 9:48 PM
I'll second Mark's advice as that is precisely what I did for my workbench. It is all MDF, with yellow glue (Titebond II) and contact cement keeps the formica on top. It gets good abuse being my only bench...holding up just fine.

For MDF, it is so dense that screws near edges and in the end-grain will split unless predrilled. If you happen to split the MDF, leave the screw in to keep the crack open and dump glue in it. Remove the screw to close up the crack.

Jim Becker
04-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Titebond II for me, too, Jerry, since these are just narrow pieces to double the edge. If you were doing a full lamination, solvent-based contact cement would be my choice.