PDA

View Full Version : Filter for new compressor

Tim Malyszko
08-10-2008, 10:58 PM
This morning, I picked up a new Compressor - Husky 60 Gal VT6314 - at the BORG. I've been looking at Craigslist for a bigger compressor and came across this one "open-box" for a heck of a deal and it was sort of a spontaneous purchase. Anyway, since I'm using it primarily for spraying finishes, I would like to add a filter to the unit, but I'm not even sure where to begin. Is there a specific filter that one would recommend?

I'm pretty new to spraying finishes, but before I was using a 4 Gal Dewalt Emglo Portable Compressor. It is amazing how much of a difference the bigger difference made when I sprayed primer today.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Jensen
08-11-2008, 12:48 AM
You need a particle filter, and a coellescing filter (spelling?). Ideally you'd also add a dessicant dryer. The first two are not terribly expenisive, maybe $30-100. the latter is more like $100...joe

Dave Rose
08-11-2008, 7:15 AM
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/MotorGuard/Motorguard%20M30.htm

It will give you .01 micron filtration for $55.00 using a toilet paper roll. I also use a cheap water trap as a 1st stage filter. I’ve been using this setup for over 20 yrs. With no issues

It is best to have 50’ of hose / line between the compressors and filter.

Tim Malyszko
08-12-2008, 2:43 PM
Thanks Joe and Dave. 50' fo hose between the compressor and filter isn't a problem since compressor sits in the detached garage and the paint booth resides in the basement.

gato markham
08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
This Brings Up My Question. I Read About An Intake Attachment That Slowed Down The Surge On The Compressor So It Would Not Trip Breakers But Why Not A Moisture Filter On Intake To Keep Water Vapor Out Of The Tank In The First Place ???

Maury Saggus
08-13-2008, 12:49 AM
This Brings Up My Question. I Read About An Intake Attachment That Slowed Down The Surge On The Compressor So It Would Not Trip Breakers But Why Not A Moisture Filter On Intake To Keep Water Vapor Out Of The Tank In The First Place ???

Predrying air to a compressor is used typically not to prevent moisture after the dryer, but to increase inlet air density in order to increase compressor efficiency. Interestingly enough, moisture after the compressor would still require further drying. Predrying is not prectical for the small user.

The best solution is a coalescing filter followed by a refrigerated dryer to remove most of the moisture. Small uses could be served by a desiccant type filter, replacing the desiccant frequently.

Regards,

Maury

Tim Malyszko
08-26-2008, 7:51 AM
Thanks again guys. I ended up ordering the Motor Guard Toilet Paper Filter. In addition, I ordered the DeVilbiss 120 CFM Air Line Control Unit part #: DEV-HAR602 for a stage 1 filter. It's probably overkill...

On a side note, I ordered it all from Spraygunworld.com and while the equipment eventually arrived, their customer service and communication was less than stellar. I kept trying to get updates on order status, and kept getting generic "Dear Customer, Your order is being processed." About 10 days later I was finally able to get a different message that said, "Dear Valued Customer, One of the items is on backorder." Then I was finally able to get a tracking number 2 hours after the items arrived at my office.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you need a part quickly, spraygunworld.com may not be the best place to order from. Other than the customer service issues, the price was great and the items were well packaged.

Thanks again for the help.

Josiah Bartlett
08-26-2008, 2:07 PM
I use a spray gun infrequently (like a couple of times a year), so I don't have a permanent drier setup, but what I do have works really well. I buy the disposable dessicant filters (a buck or two a piece) and put them right at the gun. I also have a small pressure regulator right at the gun. It serves two purposes: It keeps the gun pressure constant very well, and it serves as a small pressure drop right before the dessicant filter to further condense any moisture.

Between the compressor and the gun I have a homeade air dryer set up. It consists of a 5 gallon bucket of cold water with a large coil of air line running through it. I put a centrifugal type water trap right after it, and that gets most of the water out of the line. Following that I use a new, clean air hose that has never seen tool use. That way, there isn't any oil or water trapped in it. I reuse this hose when I paint, but that's the only thing I use it for. It avoids contamination. Oil is even worse than water in paint.

The setup is: Compressor ----> Bucket with hose --> Water trap ---> new clean hose ---> regulator ---> disposable dessicant ----> gun