PDA

View Full Version : It were bound to happen....

Jim Underwood
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I was in the shop yesterday afternoon after exhausting myself working in the yard mowing grass trimming weeds, blowing leaves, trimming bushes, and limbing trees...

So I figured I'd rough out a HF before I ran out to do errands. After all, I was already soaking wet and covered with dust and grass clippings.

I grabbed the saw and cut the blank down to a size that would fit on the lathe. I centered it up on the lathe to ensure the best color and grain configuration. I quickly roughed out the outside form and refined it so I had continuous fair curves. I then mounted it in the chuck and began hollowing. I was making good progress except I forgot to drill the center at the start. I was having a hard time getting the center of the form removed near the bottom. At last check I had gotten a little closer to the outside world near the bottom of the HF than I liked for a rough form, so I reminded myself not to cut any more off the side. So I inserted the hollowing tool and began to work on that last bit at the bottom. I was still frustrated at my attempts to clean up that last little bit on the center, and I forgot about my reminder, and let the tool wander out the side and it was cutting so well until I heard..... That Noise You Don't Want To Hear.

Instant lampshade.

Durn.:(

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Sorry to here that Jim but have to say been there done that. Bad words were said.:mad::mad:

Richard Madison
08-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Not to mention shucks and dadgummit. Just gotta hate it when your brain reminds you of something, and then forgets that of which it reminded you.

But before the mouth is done cussing, the brain is thinking "We can save this by facing off the bottom and gluing on another piece and ----

I think Jim's message is about recognizing when you are tired and not 100% focused on the work at hand. Sometimes is difficult to "know when to fold 'em" and let it (and self) rest for a while.

Larry Marley
08-11-2008, 12:35 AM
I would like to say that I have never made the inside bigger than the outside.

But I can't...

robert hainstock
08-11-2008, 6:37 AM
So is it a funnel, or a bowl, or firewood? Bummer, don'tcha just hate that noise? :eek::eek:
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Jim - hate when that happens! Glad it didn't explode in your face and cause injury! I'm sure next time you will create a beautiful HF! Looking forward to seeing it!

curtis rosche
08-11-2008, 10:55 AM
picture! picture! picture! ive never seen a lampshade before

Tom Green
08-11-2008, 3:11 PM
Jim, I had a similar experience Saturday which I started a post about before I read this. I was thinking about what I was going to do after I finished when my little oops happened.
Tom

Jim Underwood
08-11-2008, 4:09 PM
Hmmm.. yeah? Well if you'll post your pictures I will post mine.

There's not much to look at now. I thought of turning off the bottom part and top parts clean but the diameters were so disimilar that the bottom gets lost in the top and never the twain may meet.

Maybe I can put something in the center...