PDA

View Full Version : Burning question...

Maria Alvarado
08-10-2008, 8:25 PM
For those of you that burn your edges, is it better to burn and then turn the inside, or do you wait until you are finished? What do you do to keep the sides from burning? I'm turning a natural edge pear wood bowl and have shaped the outside, but the bark was in poor shape, so I've peeled it off. I think a dark edge will provide a nice contrast. Any reason to prefer torch or soldering iron?
Thanks for your help.

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2008, 9:41 PM
Charlene I do mine after I have finished turning and before the finish. I use a soldering iron with the tip flattened. It works great and you don't have to worry about burning any other wood. You can buy burning irons pretty cheap. I just happen to be a electronic tech and have several soldering guns laying around so decided to use one for turning.

Bill Bolen
08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I do the same as Bernie with an old soldering iron. I imagine a torch and piece of metal could be quicker but with shavings all over the place I just don't want Sharon to have to call the fire department in for my bonfire!...Bill..

robert hainstock
08-11-2008, 6:41 AM
I never tried that, but it seems like i"d rather have the larger surface of the unfinished edge to apply the heat to. Dunno, just my HO.:(:)
Bob

Frank Kobilsek
08-11-2008, 8:54 AM
Charlene

A couple years ago Nick Cook had a story in the AAW Journal on this topic. A reprint is on his website for your reference.

Turn the outside, flip the piece into your chuck. Clean up the shavings of the earlier turning. Have a bucket of water and a sponge handy. Now using your propane torch burn the rim bny pointing the torch from the ID of the bowl outward toward the OD. If you are careful you won't wrap the burn mark over the rim onto the outside surface. You are running more of a 'toasting' operation than a burning. Go slow and keep moving the piece by hand. If you get a flame on the wood stomp it out with the wet sponge. Then turn out the inside of the piece. A flat finish looks best on the burnt area.

Good Luck

Frank

Cyril Griesbach
08-11-2008, 9:00 AM
I prefer using a Butane Micro Torch and when possible, burning the edge prior to the finishing cuts.

Chip Sutherland
08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I haven't done much so I'm still learning and experimenting. But so far, I like this approach the best for a crisp line and still have the ability to touch up a bead if I toast it a little. Going from inside to outside keeps the back unscorched. I should probably cleanup my shavings first but I do have a fire extinguisher within 5 feet of me.

Maria Alvarado
08-11-2008, 7:00 PM
Thanks guys,

Those are all good tips. I've tried flame before on a bone dry platter and warped it. Still, this is green wood...

Nevertheless, after already shoveling 3 wheelbarrows full of shavings and still standing ankle deep, I think I'll take any combustion activities outside! If you see a plume of smoke, tell the fire dept. the bowls are on the first shelf to the right ;)

Maria Alvarado
08-11-2008, 10:25 PM
In true Mugwump fashion, I'm going to need both methods. After scraping the inner bark layer and sanding to 180, I used the propane torch to scorch the edge. This actually proved very helpful to visualize the edge. Turned the inside, but ended up dislodging a small chip, which I've glued back but may have to come off in the end...at which time I'll have to try the woodburning iron (how is it that spell-check marks "woodburning" as a misspelling? On this site???). Anyway, I'm very pleased, still need to let it dry, then sand and finish, but had to share the progress.
Bradford Pear (I think), NE bowl, burned rim
94618 Edge flamed w/propane torch (coated w/CA)
94619 Fairly crisp edge after turning
94617 Another view

Comments/critiques/suggestions welcome. Will post final version when it's finished.

Don Eddard
08-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Looks like it's gonna work out nicely Maria. It really shows off the thinness of the walls.