PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 15HH planer installation

Robert Chapman
08-10-2008, 7:30 PM
I'm seriously considering buying a 15HH but I'm concerned about moving it into my shop. I undstand that the planer is shipped on a pallet. I know that it has four lifting handles but I don't have a forklift. I need to know from those of you who have one - how you managed moving it to its shop location.

Jim Eller
08-10-2008, 8:27 PM
Robert,

I had one and pick it up in LaVergne, TN in a trailer and two of us unloaded it from a landscape trailer. Skid it off.

I uncreated it and moved it off the pallet by myself. I'm 65 and 170 lbs. Just use good technique.

I now have a 209HH and it took two people to get it off of the pallet.

Not much info but I hope it helps.

Jim

Robert Chapman
08-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks Jim that does help a lot. At least it seems like one or two people can move the machine with some knowledge of physics. My wife is good at that [the physics part].

Rick Fisher
08-11-2008, 1:53 AM
I have the 20" size. Used a small picker. I have seen folks use a mobile crane with great success.

If I had space, I would buy one.

Lance Norris
08-11-2008, 6:01 AM
I have the Grizzly 1021x which is a very similar planer. This is not a 2 man job. It is a 4 man job. I unloaded mine from the back of my pickup and had to carry it into my basement shop through the outside stairway. Be careful, you are dealing with around 600 lbs.

Rob Grubbs
08-11-2008, 9:27 AM
I used an engine crane to pick mine up. Worked great!

Dennis Peacock
08-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Me and a buddy of mine picked it up and moved it off the pallet. The 15HH or 15S planer is very "light" in weight compared to the PM long-bed jointer I got a few years back. That dude was HEAVY and it's sitting where we left it. :)

John Hedges
08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
When mine arrived they wheeled it right into my garage shop. I had no problem moving it off the crate and setting it up by myself. The built in casters make this a one man job.

Lewis Cobb
08-11-2008, 2:07 PM
Used the same crane for hiking the crate off the back of the truck. Those lifing handles are the ticket ! That's two 4x4s side by side being used as the lifting beam in the pic...plenty strong and helped to keep the lifting slings spread apart better.

Now that I have the extension tables mounted I didn't like the idea of the straps chafing on the sides of the tables, so I came up with a 4x4 under each pair of lifting handles - no pics of that contraption yet ....

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/144_44211.jpg