PDA

View Full Version : Another laser gift idea

Lee DeRaud
08-10-2008, 6:35 PM
Stumbled upon this in my surfings: http://orno.etsy.com
She doesn't actually say she uses a laser to make these things, but whatever she's using is doing an awfully good imitation of one.

Some 1/8" wood, varnish/lacquer/whatever, and some earring hooks...doesn't get any easier than that.

Frank Corker
08-10-2008, 6:39 PM
Has to be a laser with those burnt edges. If they weren't there I was going to say probably fretsaw work.

Belinda Barfield
08-10-2008, 7:04 PM
Colored acrylics are pretty hot in jewelry right now. Same principle without all the finish work. You could probably even turn your scrap 2 ply laminate into earrings. Black and white - a classic combo. :)

Nick Napier
08-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Belinda, would you care to post some examples of acrylic earrings? Curious as to the style you're talking about.

Nick Napier

Frank Corker
08-11-2008, 7:38 AM
http://www.epiloglaser.com/sc_shell_necklace.htm

On the Epilog website is a pendent that has been decorated on shell. Looks very nice.

Angus Hines
08-11-2008, 8:00 AM
Nice stuff and Ideas.....

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 8:20 AM
Belinda, would you care to post some examples of acrylic earrings? Curious as to the style you're talking about.

Nick Napier

Nick,

I'd be happy to post examples, if I had any. I haven't taken the time to make any acrylic earrings. I see a lot of them dangling from ears though.
I'll see if I can dig up some pics for you.

Janet Leahy
08-11-2008, 8:31 AM
I came across that site a while back when doing research for wooden jewelry (I've never seen any that I can recall). I worked on a bunch of examples and some even sold already.

Here's some pics - it was fun but I recommend safety goggles when cutting wire hehe

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 8:38 AM
Nice work Janet. Thanks for posting. You should really do well with the holiday season approaching.

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 8:45 AM
Nick,

Here is a link to one site that has acrylic and crystal earrings.

http://www.volpino.com/item.jsp?category=4260

Here's another one with several styles on the page.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?SKW=acrylic+earrings&Constraint=avxgf

Janet Leahy
08-11-2008, 9:35 AM
Belinda I luv those earrings on the links you posted!
I haven't worked on acrylic much but I think I should start!

Thanks! :D

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Belinda I luv those earrings on the links you posted!
I haven't worked on acrylic much but I think I should start!

Thanks! :D

You're welcome Janet. Those were just two sites I picked really quick, I'm sure there are lots of others out there. I cut a lot of acrylic at the first of the year for glass ware racks. I ended up with lots of round pieces of acrylic I just couldn't bear to throw away, so I set them aside to use for Christmas ornaments this year, and yes, even some Christmas earrings. The great thing about making jewelry from "left overs" is that you can use almost any scrap whether it's wood, arcylic, even paper. If you have some artistic talent you can even hand paint designs on the acrylic. Funky jewelry goes over well here because we have so many students at the Savannah College of Art and Design - they love anything unusual and the more "out there", the better. Now, before anyone hits me up for pics, I don't have any. I'll try to be better about taking photos and I'll post them when I make anything new.

Steve Clarkson
08-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Hehehehe......I went to the first website.......loved the "fashion bras" made with swarovski crystals.....LOL!!!!

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Hehehehe......I went to the first website.......loved the "fashion bras" made with swarovski crystals.....LOL!!!!

Gee Steve, sometimes a girl just needs to feel a lil' sparkly!

Mike Mackenzie
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Here is a site of all laser cut acrylic jewelery.

http://www.stevenshein.com/

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Here is a site of all laser cut acrylic jewelery.

http://www.stevenshein.com/

Wow Mike, one could certainly get some ideas from that site! Thanks!

Frank Corker
08-11-2008, 4:38 PM
Crumbs what a horrible website and they are certainly having a laugh with their prices aren't they?

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 5:02 PM
Crumbs what a horrible website and they are certainly having a laugh with their prices aren't they?

I agree with you on the quality of the website. I didn't even look at the prices.

Love your new smile BTW, and haven't forgotten the project I discussed with you. We are having power supply issues with low voltage coming into our facility. We can't have everything up and running at the same time and since my project isn't priority, and I don't want to risk damage to my machine, it's on the back burner. I'll keep you posted.

Lee DeRaud
08-11-2008, 5:06 PM
Crumbs what a horrible website and they are certainly having a laugh with their prices aren't they?It's slightly less dreadful once you turn off the music, but yeah, what you said.

Mike Mackenzie
08-11-2008, 8:31 PM
I know the site is horrible but it does show some examples of what they are doing with acrylic and jewelery.

Frank Corker
08-12-2008, 4:19 AM
Agreed Mike, I wasn't criticising that, just making a comment on the site that was all. The work is fine, expensive, but I'm sure that they could show their work in a much better user friendly way that was all.

Nick Napier
08-12-2008, 9:49 AM
Hi Belinda, Thanks for the links, I like many have scrap stuff that is difficult to throw away. It would be nice to find a few designs to use them up. I'm assuming there are places out there that sell earring parts to assemble your own. Looks like a little surfing is in order.

Thanks again

Nick

Belinda Barfield
08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Belinda, Thanks for the links, I like many have scrap stuff that is difficult to throw away. It would be nice to find a few designs to use them up. I'm assuming there are places out there that sell earring parts to assemble your own. Looks like a little surfing is in order.

Thanks again

Nick

I can save you some surfing time Nick. If you live near a Michael's Crafts, A.C. Moore, or bead store you will find everything you need right at hand. Of course, you can also order online. Firemountain Gems (link provided above) is where I buy when I buy anything in quantity. Halstead Beads sells is another option, wholesale only. If you still want to search just search for "jewelry findings". You will also need a set a tools. I won't say you'll make a lot of money with jewelry as there are a lot of "stay at home moms", etc. who are in the business and the competition is pretty stiff at shows - particularly when you factor in the professionals at juried shows. But, you can turn out some pretty nice gifts. If you have a daughter (or daughters) bring her into the business. She'll probably love making stuff for all her friends, and they will be walking advertisements.

Most of you probably don't have time to laser scrap, but you can put together a pair of earrings, or a pendant on a cord in about five minutes.

David Fairfield
08-12-2008, 10:47 AM
that link should come with a warning to put on a welders mask and earplugs before clicking!

Bill Cunningham
08-12-2008, 8:43 PM
Look on the bright side.. The site is so gad awful and annoying, it will drive customers to the competitors..:D