PDA

View Full Version : One of the Last "Witness Trees" Has Fallen

Keith Starosta
08-10-2008, 3:54 PM
I've never worked with Honey Locust before, but I'd sure love to get my hands on some of this wood. It would be very cool to "work" with history...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/09/historic.tree.ap/index.html

- Keith

curtis rosche
08-10-2008, 5:16 PM
if any one can get a peice of this or knows how, can they let me know? i am going to try to get some.

this is that huge tree that has those seed pods right? the one that is like 15ft thick?

Richard M. Wolfe
08-10-2008, 6:10 PM
Curtis, I don't know how big honey locust would get in that part of the country, but the biggest I've seen around here (Texas) is about two feet across. Of course you are dealing with a specific tree and it will be "what it will be". Since it's blown down there's a chance it's bad inside....just have to find out. I wouldn't bet against people already trying to get it for the history in it. Yes, honey locust (and black locust) have big seed pods. And the wood?.....think concrete if it's had much of a chance to dry. :)

curtis rosche
08-10-2008, 6:19 PM
do the pods have 2-3 big seeds about the size of a golf ball? im trying to figure out what tree it is but there are no pictures of what tree fell

Richard M. Wolfe
08-10-2008, 9:14 PM
The seed pods are like a huge bean....about a foot long for black locust but the seeds are not that large. Do a google search for honey locust and click on images and I'm sure it will show some pictures.

Marjorie Saws
08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
It would be nice if a new tree was planted.

curtis rosche
08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
i think the best thing to do would be try to graft a new tree on to the base, if the roots are still there. if the pods are those huge longs beans, then this is not the tree i was thinking of. which is good, the tree i was thinking of is that huge huge tree in the middle on the cemetery that has these baseball sized seed pods, the seeds look like buckeyes of chestnuts of something like that.

Chris Padilla
08-11-2008, 7:31 PM
My parents have a honey locust in the front yard of their house in Colorado. They planted it when I was youngish...that was about 20 years ago...it sure has gotten big!