PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry bowl

Wolf Kiessling
04-30-2004, 11:55 AM
This should be the last big bowl to come off the ol' Delta spinner 'cause I expect delivery on the new Jet 1642 EVS any day now. Anyhow, here 'tis. It is 11" dia at the rim, 3 7/8" at the base, 8" high with 3/8" thick walls. It is finished with tung oil.

This is not my favorite shape but the wood is so showy that I thought the view of the inside of the bowl was as important as the outside and, IMHO, this shape does a nice job of drawing attention to the inside. Usually, on a natural edge bowl, I leave the bark on but in this case it was so ratty I took it all off. Also, the fairly large triangular turqoise colored inlace is not a natural void. It was some weird colored brownish, really soft wood (soft enough to pick out with a fingernail) that I just picked it all out and replaced with the inlace/epoxy mix. In fact, it reminded me of the sawdust that the worms leave, similar consistency but that wasn't it (wrong shape and color). I was afraid that if I left it in there it would eventually fall out anyway.

I have one more big piece of that hackberry left and I'll leave it for the Jet. I haven't measured it yet but it may be closer to 16" dia.

Dick Parr
04-30-2004, 1:54 PM
Very nice Wolf. :) I like the inlace and have been seeing it on other forums for all types of turnings. I think I am going to give the natural edge a try this weekend after I get a bowl gouge.

Pete Lamberty
04-30-2004, 2:24 PM
Hi Wolf, I didn't know that you did turnings. I thought you were mostly a wood carver. This is a very nice bowl. I think you were right to shape it this way in order to show off the wood. If I may make a suggestion, I think you should incorporate both of your skills into one piece. Why don't you try to carve something onto one of your bowls. Just a thought. You are very skilled. Keep showing us your work!

Wolf Kiessling
04-30-2004, 8:37 PM
If I may make a suggestion, I think you should incorporate both of your skills into one piece. Why don't you try to carve something onto one of your bowls. Just a thought.

I've been doing that all along, Pete. The last one I posted was "Magnolia Blossom". Just for you, here's an aspen vessel I carved. I don't believe I have ever posted this one before.

Dick Parr
04-30-2004, 8:51 PM
you did it again Wolf, very nice. :)

Chris Padilla
04-30-2004, 9:34 PM
Aspen!! Probably from the good ole Rocky Mountains of Colorado?? :D Now there is a wood that doesn't get commerical time.... Thanks for sharing your wonderful work, Wolf.

John Miliunas
04-30-2004, 10:15 PM
In a word, "WOW"! Stupendous grain and figuring on that Hackberry. Don't believe I've ever seen any before. You're right; The shape really shows it off! Then there's the carved vessel: Holy smokes, Wolf! Talk about bringing two wonderful talents together! Cripes, I had a hard enough time carving my initials into the park bench when I was a kid! B-A-Utiful! :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Evening Wolf:

Having turned a lot of Hackberry. I was surprised at your piece. Don't get me wrong. It is beautiful in grain, texture, and your treatment of the piece. What floored me is the coloring. All of the Hackberry I have turned is a creamy white with a crosshatch pattern that looks like woven fabric, and when spalted, the spalting is black.

I had no idea it could have the coloring of your piece.

"Just one OLD man, learning something new each day."

Bruce

Jason Roehl
05-01-2004, 8:52 AM
Very good, Wolf! There's lots of hackberry around here in IN, (makes great firewood), but I've never seen color like that!

Roger Fitzsimonds
05-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Wolf,
As always your work is amazing and inspiring.

Roger

Wolf Kiessling
05-01-2004, 2:58 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Padilla]Aspen!! Probably from the good ole Rocky Mountains of Colorado?? :D

You bet, Chris, Lake George. I'm really beginning to miss that place.

Wolf Kiessling
05-01-2004, 3:01 PM
Bruce and Jason, I have to agree with you guys, I have never seen color like that in hackberry either. If it weren't for the bark, I would never have been able to identify it. I have one more piece of it for a decent size bowl and I'm saving it for when I get my new Jet machine (hopefully next week)

Jim Ketron
05-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Wolf I like your unique style:)

Great piece!!
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2004, 8:25 AM
Wolf,

I liked the bowl but that aspen vessel..........! Wow!!! I wished I had half of your artistic talent and insight! If my wife were to see that ....she'd become your biggest customer! As usual Wolf.....fantastic work!

Wolf Kiessling
05-02-2004, 1:58 PM
Again, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. It do make one feel good.