PDA

View Full Version : Selling Universal V-460 Need to know what price I should put on?

James Meagher
08-09-2008, 7:23 PM
All,

I am thinking about selling my Universal Laser 30 watt V-460, 18 x 24, bought new 3 years ago but only has about 200 hours on it running time. Not sure what I should be asking for it. Also have the honeycomb cutting table with it.

I would appreciate some input as I am lost at a price.

Thanks,

James Meagher

Mike Null
08-10-2008, 8:09 AM
Moderators

I have had an exchange with James and concluded that this is a legitimate request for assistance and not an effort to place an ad.

James,
I would begin with a price that satisfies you. The amount of time it has been used is not so relevant as its age and condition.

Robert Ray
08-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I would think $10K ish. Don't know what you paid, but new 30W machines from several manufacturers with that capability go from $11K to $16K.

Steve Clarkson
08-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm actually in the market for a laser (sorry, not your kind) and the only time I would consider buying a used laser would be if I could get it for atleast half the cost of a new one. I mean if I can get a brand new laser (with warranty!) for about $12K......why would I want a three year old laser for $10K?

But I think the best thing to do is to search the internet for a used ULS V-460 and see what other people are asking. Also, I know that there are quite a few places that SELL used lasers.......maybe just asking them what they would pay you for yours might give you a good idea what it's worth. If you think it's worth 10K and they would be willing to give you say $8K......it might be worth it to sell it to them......just so you don't have to go through all the time, effort and expense of trying to sell it yourself.

Brian Robison
08-11-2008, 11:56 AM
And when you do post it for sale, make sure people know your location. A $8000.00 laser across the street is less than a 10,000.00 one in New Guinea.

Steve Chalmers
08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
James,

I might be interested in your ULS machine, but I do have a couple of questions. Where is it located? And primarily what type of work were you doing with the machine?

Send me a private email.

Thanks,
Steve Chalmers

Bryan Cowan
08-11-2008, 1:14 PM
And when you do post it for sale, make sure people know your location. A $8000.00 laser across the street is less than a 10,000.00 one in New Guinea.

I believe you have that backwards :)

A $10,000 laser across the street is less than a $8,000 one in New Guinea :D

Brian Robison
08-11-2008, 1:16 PM
:D
Yep, that's what I meant.
But what I typed was true too!!:rolleyes:

Rob Bosworth
08-11-2008, 1:22 PM
James, why don't you start by talking to your accountant. IF you have been depreciating it, or expensed it for taxes, then the price is going to be much different for you than just knee jerk reaction. We all like to think that what we have is worth what we paid for it. But if you ask an accountant, they can make you think you are doing really well in a transaction that you think stinks.

So you might be thinking you bought your 2005 laser system three years ago. But if you bought it in say late 2004, you might actually have owned it through four tax filings, and still be able to use the 5th year for this year. If it is on a 5 year depreciation schedule, you might have it completely written off, and will have to pay excessive capital gains tax on it.

I love accountants, unless they are mine!

Mike Null
08-11-2008, 5:25 PM
According to James' pm to me he lives in Nova Scotia so Brian's point is a good one.