PDA

View Full Version : Another Humidor box

Bill Wyko
08-09-2008, 3:20 PM
I built this one similar to the last one I posted but I posted a step by step build in my gallery on FOG (95 pictures). This one fought me tooth and nail in so many ways but I beat it into submission. It's figured Bubinga, Quilted Maple and Spanish Cedar. The finish is 5 coats of Minwax Tung oil 24 hrs apart. I'm still going to do a few coats of wax this weekend. Please enjoy. Here's the link to the build.http://www.festoolownersgroup.com/CoppermineMain/thumbnails.php?album=111

Ed Sallee
08-09-2008, 3:24 PM
Bill, your boxes are beautiful and from what I've seen, recognizable as your style. The double joints are fantastic. I only wish I could get to this level in boxmaking...... Where can I find your step by step? I'm not familiar with FOG

Bill Wyko
08-09-2008, 3:41 PM
Thanks Ed. The site is www.festoolownersgroup.com (http://www.festoolownersgroup.com) at the top of the page is a selection for Gallery. There's 99 pictures with descriptions. There's even descriptions of my screw ups and how I fixed them. If anyone here knows how I can post a gallery description with 100 pictures or so let me know and I'll do it here too.

Jason Tuinstra
08-09-2008, 4:46 PM
Bill, great job. I'm sure we all know what you're talking about when it comes to the ones that fight ya'. It certainly looks like it cried "uncle" and that you won the battle. The figure of the wood is fantastic. Definitely worth the effort. Thanks for the post.

Jason

David Epperson
08-09-2008, 5:49 PM
I guess you have to register there to see the pics.

Jim Becker
08-09-2008, 8:14 PM
Sharp looking box, Bill!

Brent Smith
08-09-2008, 8:28 PM
Bill, that is just beautiful work!!

Bill Wyko
08-10-2008, 3:14 PM
Thank you gentlemen. I built this one for myself. I've been caring for my dad up to a couple weeks ago so I've been away for a while. He's doing better than expected now so I can get back to woodworking and SMC. I'm working on a couple more projects I'll be posting asap. Thanks again.

Joe Cunningham
08-10-2008, 4:50 PM
Wow, the finish really is the icing on a very impressive cake. Like looking into a deep, beautiful pool of figured wood.

Very well done.

Dewey Torres
08-11-2008, 3:39 PM
Bill,

Nice use of that burl you picked up from JWW last month. Another Incra success story in the books:D

Lori Kleinberg
08-11-2008, 4:47 PM
Great box, Bill. Love the joinery.

Ralph Barhorst
08-14-2008, 1:12 PM
I really like that box, and your explanation on the festool site is great. Could you tell me the width of the fingers and the width of the area between the fingers? I would like to try making one without the Incra jig.

Bill Wyko
08-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone. When the incra is used, all the cuts are done with a 3/8" bit and the depth is never changed. With the incra system, the fence is moved by a pre determined amount that is on a strip with lines that you line up with a cursor. You can buy the strips separately if you wanted to try it some other way, but with the incra system it's a matter of A,B,C,D,E,F and you're done.:)

Bill Wyko
08-18-2008, 10:47 PM
A little update. It's holding 76% humidity and 76 degrees perfectly. This is what really counts when it comes to a humidors usability.:D Now it's a success.