PDA

View Full Version : ?

Dan Williams
08-09-2008, 1:18 PM
I was reading this an was often wondering myself how long the seam between the lanminate/inlay would stay seamless due to expantion and contraction of wood ? Are there any ways to prevent this from happening ? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=901613#post901613

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2008, 1:29 PM
I don't know how long that one will stay but one of the first bowls I turned was a laminated bowl like. 2 years later it looks exactly the same as it did when I turned it. Of course, we have extremely low average humidity.

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2008, 7:30 PM
You can't stop wood from moving. Even steel moves. All you can do is plan/design ways to minimize the movement of the wood. I have a Red Oak kitchen table that is 42" wide.....the day I made it. ;) That table top moves a total of 3/8" per year due to seasonal wood movement. :eek:

Robert McGowen
08-09-2008, 8:28 PM
I would think that if the thin layers were segmented, you would have a greater chance of failure. If all of the pieces started as solid pieces of wood and were laminated so that the grain lined up, you would probably be pretty safe. Of course, your wife could knock it off of a table while vacuuming and and the wood would move about 3 feet and it would crack for sure. :D DAMHIKT :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek:

Richard Madison
08-10-2008, 7:55 PM
Dan,
Ditto what Robert said, and also read my post in that thread.

robert hainstock
08-10-2008, 8:27 PM
The best way to deal with the movement is to turn the piece end grain to end grain since wood moves across the grain pretty much. Of couurse then you arte turning end grain. :eek::eek::)
Bob