View Full Version : Cedar Lamp

Dan Williams
08-09-2008, 9:34 AM
Here is a Cedar lamp I turned a while ago but had no camera to post photo

The lamp is 18"s tall w/o shade 30"s w/shade & 6"s in Dia at base

crituqe welcome

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2008, 9:37 AM
That lamp is a beauty Dan. Really like the cedar and how red it is. Well done.

Dan Williams
08-09-2008, 10:07 AM
That lamp is a beauty Dan. Really like the cedar and how red it is. Well done.

I am in the Wi. Dells area What do you in your honest opion think this is worth There are five coats of UV spar varnish & beall buffed

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Dan I have never turned a lamp myself but have seen them go from $50 to $150 depending on the wood. The last show I did a guy had a cherry lamp he did which was really nice. He got $65 for it without the shade. He started the 3 day show at $125. Down here we are mostly Agriculture and things don't sell if the price is to high. We just can't get what some do. The most I have ever gotten on a bowl is $85 for a really nice natural edge and most of my utility bowls go from $25 to $65. So hopefully you can get someone to chime in for your area.

Dan Williams
08-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Here is a Cedar lamp I turned a while ago but had no camera to post photo

The lamp is 18"s tall w/o shade 30"s w/shade & 6"s in Dia at base

crituqe welcome

I am still learning the ropes here so any input would be very helpful. The way I did this lamp is I have a tennon on the end of the lamp epoxyed it to a mortise in the base. Will this hold a lifetime or would I be better off running a threaded tube down the entire lenght and hold it together with a nut.

I always second guess my own work so be 100% honest with you responce please.

Dan Williams

Dan Williams
08-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Dan I have never turned a lamp myself but have seen them go from $50 to $150 depending on the wood. The last show I did a guy had a cherry lamp he did which was really nice. He got $65 for it without the shade. He started the 3 day show at $125. Down here we are mostly Agriculture and things don't sell if the price is to high. We just can't get what some do. The most I have ever gotten on a bowl is $85 for a really nice natural edge and most of my utility bowls go from $25 to $65. So hopefully you can get someone to chime in for your area.

Thank you

I dont want to over price my work but it takes a lot of time to turn from whole log to final finish

robert hainstock
08-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I'd put the tube in for safety. It would act like a conduit. HF offers a three drill set of 24in bits in various sizes. :)
Bob

Richard Madison
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Dan,
You will need to become very skilled and very efficient to get a reasonable $$ return on the time you have invested in any given piece. Pens and bottle stoppers may be exceptions to this. Also becoming a nationally known and acclaimed turner works well to increase your $$ return on time invested.

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2008, 5:45 PM
I agree with Robert. Put the tube in. I think you wouldn't have to worry about it then.