PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans...What to see?

Andy Haney
08-09-2008, 8:40 AM
I'll be there for a conference soon, with some time on a Saturday. Are there any woodworking "sights" to see?

Thanks,
Andy

Steven DeMars
08-09-2008, 9:07 AM
The World War II Museum, the Aquarium, French Quarter. Don't forget to try the Beniets (Square Powered Donuts).

You can eat & drink (alcohol) while walking down the street, for some that is a treat. All the food is good . . .

DO NOT VENTURE OUT AWAY FROM THE NORMAL TOURIST AREAS ! ! !:o

Ask the doormen @ your hotel . . . they will know what areas are not good!

Remember, some parts New Orleans is not unlike a third world country . . . .

As to something associated with woodworking, if you find it, call me, I'll be there in 30 minutes . . . .

All in all, most people that visit New Orleans leave with a good experience. A bad experience from a visit to New Orleans is usually not going to be related to a bad meal . . . . .

Glenn Howard
08-09-2008, 9:24 AM
A bad experience from a visit to New Orleans is usually not going to be related to a bad meal . . . . .
There is no place in the world where eating is more fun than in New Orleans (IMHO).;)

Neal Clayton
08-09-2008, 10:05 AM
go tour the houses uptown that are open for tourists. lots of hand-carved 17th/18th century architectural detail.

if you want to shop for old wood items, the paint strippers sell old salvage stuff too. one uptown called 'the bank' there's another by city park called 'stripease'.

you'll be hard pressed to find a bad restaurant. the bottom of the barrel in new orleans is better than anywhere else, tbh. that said, some of the better small local places that the entire world might not know about are pascal's manale uptown, crescent city steakhouse in central city, mosca's on the westbank on hwy 90 in avondale, and mother's for breakfast when you get tired of cafe du monde.

i agree about not wandering where you're not familiar with, especially at night. crime is bad there in certain areas.

Eric DeSilva
08-09-2008, 1:27 PM
Forget about woodworking in N'awlins, just eat. Muffalettas at Central Grocery w/Zapp's chips... Gumbo... blackened fish... bananas foster...

Just don't get suckered into hurricanes. Like drinking Kool aid grain punch in college. Yech. Stick to Turbo Dog.

Steven DeMars
08-09-2008, 1:36 PM
Forget about woodworking in N'awlins, just eat. Muffalettas at Central Grocery w/Zapp's chips... Gumbo... blackened fish... bananas foster...

Just don't get suckered into hurricanes. Like drinking Kool aid grain punch in college. Yech. Stick to Turbo Dog.

Also, if you are a turner, you might want to look up some of these guys . .

http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/

Bayou Woodturners members have many N'awlins boys & girls in the club . . . You might want to contact a few prior to your visit . . . :)