PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Pete Simmons
08-09-2008, 7:13 AM
After watching the Opening of the Olympics I will say - It looks like the Chinese can do about anything they want. They have the skills, people, technology and $$$.

As some have said here the US Laser Manufactures need to watch out as in a few years the Chinese lasers might be top notch.

Spaceflight, Man on the moon, electronics -- If they want to do it, Lasers should me easy.

I was very impressed with the show last night at "The Birdsnest". Lets hope all goes well for everyone over the next two weeks.

Mods - Not sure if this should be in off topic area but I wanted to point out that quality Chinese lasers may not be far off. Please move if you feel the need to.

james mcgrew
08-09-2008, 8:05 AM
there are several new lasers arriving to be shown at iwf, camaster (the machine i purchased has one (table top) that is under 3000.00, i know o'll be looking at it . and i was really impressed with the work and effort it took to perform that ceremony and then the technology. man what an effort!!

jim mcgrew

Mike Null
08-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Pete

I think your point is well taken. It will be interesting to see whether an influx of better quality lower priced machines from China expands the laser market or just takes market share from the existing mfrs. My bet is that it'll expand the market by a lot.

I was happy for the Chinese people to have an opportunity to show off to the world. And what a fantastic job they did.

Maybe a first step toward their becoming part of the free world with rights for their people. You have to feel that some things are right there when they let that little boy lead their delegation.

Not trying to be political--just wishful thinking.

james mcgrew
08-09-2008, 10:51 AM
mike do you have a website for st. louis laser?

jim mcgrew

martin g. boekers
08-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Putting on an event such as the Olympics in today's political environment is indeed no small task! Kudos to them and a safe event!

About the lasers, to myself it's more important to have the quality of service after the sale. I now have two lasers in the shop from the same manufacturer, one about five years old and one a year old. I have never had one down for longer than 24hrs. That's not to say I haven't had problems, I have. The manufacturer's support has been amazing. Within 24hrs I have had the needed replacement parts and the help to allow me to install them without a physical service call.

That being said, If the pricing would get down to under $3000 dollars, I might have one at home in the garage to "fiddle" with. I would be a bit more cautious though if my income relied on a product's cost and not the support.

I would love to see more lasers on the market, competition is good for us as well as the manufactures. Product manufacturers may then see it as an opportunity to develop more laserable products as they will have a more substantial chance for return on their investment.

I'm curious, my oldest laser is only about 5 years old. Any takers out there to see who has the oldest "daily" working laser on the forum? 5 years starts it off do I hear 10??!!!!!

Marty

Mike Null
08-09-2008, 1:28 PM
James

My web site is listed in my profile so just click on my name and it'll take you there.

Marty

My ULS was 7 years of when I sold it to a customer who still has it for his business. It's now 10 years old.

james mcgrew
08-09-2008, 1:32 PM
martin, i have a resonably large cabinet shop and at this point am having a lot of fun instituting cnc into our operation. i chucked 2300.00 out last yaer to own a carvewright for learning purposes and that has lead to two midsize commercial cnc machines, i have a direct relationship with the cnc builder and he is improting this laser and a larger one from a company he has done business with before. these lasers seem to be "new generation" and are beginning to show up on the net for 3-5000.00 i would not advise any one to just buy one with out heeding your advice first, i feel safe in that i have a direct contact for support and more than likely this laser will end up in my farm shop with the older cnc that is about to be replaced in the commercial shop thanks for the input!!

jim mcgrew

Dee Gallo
08-09-2008, 1:48 PM
Marty - I just sold my Epilog Eclipse last month, a 15 year old machine which I was using up until the week I sold it. The guy who bought it uses it daily to mark anodized alum. machine parts. Amazing.

cheers, dee

martin g. boekers
08-09-2008, 1:59 PM
I have to admit this rapid growth in technolodgy is a lot of fun!

I come from a commercial photography background and it wasn't that long ago I was using a view camera (most people don't even know what a view camera is any more!) The "digital age" changed most everything we do today.

One point I didn't make clear in an earlier post was that just because you pay more for an item doesn't neccessarily mean that your getting a higher quality item and better support. Take your time and do the ground work first.

I believe we have seen it all to often when an overzelous salesperson
tells us exactly what we are hoping to hear.

I can't tell you how many cheap screw drivers I have bought (and continue to buy) that have frustrated me damaging screws, busting knuckles, scratching surfaces just because I can get a whole set of them at "a dollar buys you anything store"! All the while my mechanic buddy laughs and says "when you buy a good tool it will be good to you". Some lessons are still hard to learn!

Alright we have Mike with a 10 year old laser do I hear 12!!!

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2008, 2:27 PM
While the Olympic Opening Ceremonies were a very impressive accomplishment, one that Vancouver, B.C. and London will have a hard time coming close to matching, I found the human performers to be far more critical than any technology. Watching 2,008 drummers and 2,008 martial arts masters in such synchronization was just amazing, not to mention the people inside those printing blocks. The Japanese technology came here and was ridiculed for it's lack of quality, then eventually became the best quality at the best price, and the Chinese products may go the same route. At this point, though, I don't think they are nearly there yet, and the performance last night doesn't change that. After all, the small Chinese laser (and other) manufacturers don't have the complete financial and technical support from the government as the Olympics do.

Nancy Laird
08-09-2008, 2:29 PM
I'm curious, my oldest laser is only about 5 years old. Any takers out there to see who has the oldest "daily" working laser on the forum? 5 years starts it off do I hear 10??!!!!!

Marty

My ULS M-20 is a 1996 model - AND STILL ON ITS ORIGINAL TUBE!! We bought it used in 2005 and it is used extensively - right now it's one of the two that are producing 90-plus plaques for the State Fair.

martin g. boekers
08-09-2008, 3:25 PM
We now have 12 years, do I hear 14!!!

Bill Cunningham
08-10-2008, 8:51 PM
Marty - I just sold my Epilog Eclipse last month, a 15 year old machine which I was using up until the week I sold it. The guy who bought it uses it daily to mark anodized alum. machine parts. Amazing.

cheers, dee

I think we previously heard 15 from Dee!

martin g. boekers
08-10-2008, 9:57 PM
I never said I was good at math:rolleyes:

Do we hear 16?

John Barton
08-30-2008, 8:10 PM
I have a generic Chinese laser here IN CHINA and it's ok but nothing like our Universal.

The Olympics had MASSIVE government support, the performers were mostly from the military. It was a spectacle certainly and had all the scale one would expect from the Chinese. But it came at a huge cost to humanity in China.

I live here and I love China. I am not blind to what goes on though.

While there are certainly companies here that are capable of producing very high quality items, and technologically equivalent items to those produced elsewhere in the world, it is the exception rather than the rule. And these companies generally do it with a LOT of outside help from the Western engineers who are paid by the customers. Dell computers are made here locally. Dell has hundreds of western staff here to oversee the production.

I doubt very highly that the laser manufacturers are going to break the price/quality barrier anytime soon. Several of my suppliers here use lasers from Universal and others. Others are buying very expensive Chinese made lasers that are the equivalent of Universal/Epilog in quality and performance.

There are many many many companies selling cheap lasers here. And you get what you pay for. My laser is great for certain things and it works. The cheap lasers are great workhorses for certain jobs. Would I EVER have one in a shop where I had to do a lot of custom work - never again, not versatile enough. I don't need to go into the details, but lets just say that a lot of time is wasted in the experimenting phase when doing custom work that COULD be avoided or cut down drastically with a laser that "works" like a Universal does. (using that brand because it's what we have)

But for cutting out our patterns and set it and forget it type work - excellent bargain, except for the "set-it" part. :-) (unless you are paying Chinese labor rates)

David Fairfield
08-31-2008, 7:15 AM
Its a supply and demand issue. If there is a household demand for inexpensive, reliable lasers, you bet we'll be seeing China meet the demand with inexpensive, reliable lasers.

Personally I don't see that because a laser is a tool for a specific type of craftsperson. In our society most people don't really make things, and creativity is geared more towards electronic media and instant gratification.

We're a unique bunch. :)

Dave

Rodne Gold
08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
As far as I see it the chinese lasers dont work like the "western" ones (cept my Gcc , it works better ;) cos of the drivers......won't take long to get that right. This is apart from the glass vs metal sealed tube issue.