PDA

View Full Version : LV Low angle Jack w/ 50 degree blade as #4 sub.

Shannon Vincent
08-09-2008, 3:04 AM
Being my first post in the Neander forum,I would like to say I have been lurking around here for a while and have learned ALOT!Thank you all for your invaluable advice and informative posts.:)
I am following the school of thought for minimum hand plane purchase as such:60 1/2 block,(I have both the LN LA block,and rabbet),#4 or 4 1/2 smoother,and then a #7 jointer.Well,I already have slipped on the slope,so I will own many more.My question is basically the title of my post.I have asked for the LV Low angle Jack as a birthday gift($200 limit or I wouldnt ask this question).Will it work as a substitute for the #4 or 4 1/2,If I buy all three interchangeable blades:confused:?Or at some point will I still want to purchase a #4?Thanks in advance for your replies.

lowell holmes
08-09-2008, 6:47 AM
I have the LV BU jack with all of the irons. I radiused the cormers of the 25 degree iron to prevent plane tracks. It definitely will function as a smoother. I'm not sure it will completely suffice as a #4 smoother since I still use my LN 4 1/2 for some tasks. The LV jack is my go to plane for most tasks.
With a 38 degree iron it handles curly maple and in case of really stubborn grain, the 50 degree iron does the job. The 50 degree iron requires more force to push through te wood. I use the 38 degree iron most of the time, switching to the 25 degree iron when using a shooting board.

Danny Thompson
08-11-2008, 4:44 PM
See Derek Cohen's discussion of cambering and secondary bevels (which make the LV low angle bevel up planes work like a standard angle plane) on the LV Low Angle planes. He shows how to do both:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades.html

and a similar discussion where Derek weighed in:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87097

Shannon Vincent
08-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Thank you Lowell and Danny for the quick replies.I was so busy this weekend,I havent had a chance to reply back till now.
Lowell:I was very glad to hear that the BU was your "go to" plane,and that it does well with curly maple,as that is what am interested in working with the most.This will most likely be the main staple in shop,especially after reading Derek's remarks on the BU's abilities.
Danny:I appreciate the links to Derek Cohen's tutorial on cambered beveling.It looks like it will take a little bit of work to get a few different blades ready,but the results will be well worth it.:D I am pumped!I cant wait for that package to show up at my door.